Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

I wanted ask you about my friend dog. He ate by accident all

Hi I wanted ask you about my friend dog. He ate by accident all pack with treats and he is sick since morning. He was vomiting 3 times and it’s just not him. Shall we get to vet? Thank you!
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** 12
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Max?
Customer: He is otherwise happy health dog
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Do we have any underlying health issues or medications we are on? What type of treats were they ?
What breed are we? How big are we ? How big approximately was the bag of treats?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Hello, thank you.
No he hasn’t any health issue.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
It is Labrador 20-25 kg. The pack of treats was 200g
The treats. Were they for dogs or for humans? Do you know what type they were ?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
It was for dogs meaty strips with essential vitamins, with added biotin to support healthy skin and coat. It was oven baked with fresh beef. I can see on the pack there was 20 treats so he could eat about 16-18 treats.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
It’s dogs small sticks. If that’s helpful.
Thank you for that Information. I am happy to know dog treats and not human treats.
Fat content is very touchy in dogs in regards ***** ***** pancreas.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Also he has in the morning diarrhoea. But he hasn’t been poo since morning
Are we keeping any fluid or food down now ? Or are we vomitting everything up ?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
He doesn’t want anything except water. But I have to bring him water. He wouldn’t go for it. He basically just lying down all day.
Diarrhea can be common from a change of GI microflora from this. To help with the diarrhea you can start on psyllium (active ingredient in Metamucil) at a rate of 1teaspoon/5 kg. This will help to add some build to the stools as a fiber source and also the psyllium will be therapeutic to the intestinal lining too.
Do we seem tender on the abdomen? If you press it ?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
No he seems to be ok when I press it.
That is good. If the pancreas is involved many times like an infected or inflamed pancreas. This will be tender. Potentially we are dealing with a very “angry “ intestinal tract now, unhappy microflora. The fact that we are drinking yet is a very good sign. I would recommend to ensure we drink all we can. You can also start to administer Pepto Bismol twice a day at an adult dosage. This can help to settle the GI tract. However if we continue to decline in the next hours/day. Quit drinking. We may need to seek a visit to a veterinary clinic for a visit and potential medication.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ok I will do that. Thank you so much for your help!
You are more then welcome. Any other questions I can answer for you now ?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I would maybe ask in car he won’t do poo tomorrow is well. shall I be concerned about it?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
In case*
Aré you worried about him defecating or havjng disrehea in the car ?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Oh no sorry! I though in case if he won’t do poo tomorrow as well. If I should be concern about? Thanks a lot.
If we are eating and drinking. Not to be so worried if there is it a stool for a day. Situations like this can really alter the health of the intestinal tract and affect the speed and frequency of the stools passing.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Alright then. Thank you very much!
You are more than welcome. Have a good day. Dr Mike