Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My elderly dog (12 1/2 yo Boxer) is unsteady on her feet for

My elderly dog (12 1/2 yo Boxer) is unsteady on her feet for last couple of weeks, We thought she had uti a couple of weeks ago as stiff and drinking alotbbut bloods and urine are ok and vet couldn't feel any masses. She is now really unsteady and passes out everytime she tries to stand. We are having to help feed and water her. Thanks
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the Boxer will be able to digest that. What is the Boxer's name?
Customer: Xena (female)
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the Boxer?
Customer: Dont think so
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Any underlying issues or medications we are on? Did they do any bloodwork at the clinic ? If so would it be possible to forward these for review ?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
No underlying conditions. They did bloods but they didnt give me a copy. They were testing liver and kidney function. All of which was normal. Urine was diluted and clear of infections.
When you say passes out ? Do we just fall over or do we actually lose consciousness? Are we drinking more now ?
The urine was very dilute and not concentrated?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
She starts to fall to one side onto the floor and although eyes open she is very dazed. She has been drinking more for last few weeks so the uring was diluted although we are struggling to get her to drink now she is passing out as she doesn't want to move too far. Do you think it could be her heart? She pants quite heavily afterwards but then it calms down.
Did they mention any heart murmurs ? One of my concerns is that we may have other issues going on internally. If they did not run full electrolytes on the prior bloodwork we may not have the whole picture of what is going on internally. Did they offer any treatments for the dilute Urine?
Are we continually losing weight also ?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Her weight is the same, she has always been a small dog. He checked her heart and didnt mention any murmurs. He also felt for any masses etc and couldnt find anything obvious without doing a scan.
Then if they did listen to the heart the chances of the heart being an issue aré much less. Would there be any possibility you would be able to get copies of the laboratory results and urinalysis report ? I feel with this information I can give much better answer for you. Did they tell you what they thought the reason for the dilute urine was ?
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
No they just said would need ultrasound to check further but they didnt push it as we took her for suspected uti which wasnt the case. I will need to contact my surgery to find out further details of the lab reports so wont be able to respond immediately . Thanks
That is quite alright. This message can stay open for many days. I appreciate you getting that information for me to review. It will allow me to provide you the very best answer possible.