Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 47 years of experience.
55012488

I've inadvertently given my dog too much corvental tonight.

I've inadvertently given my dog too much corvental tonight. Will she be ok? She has 50mg normally but I gave her a full capsule by mistake of 100mg.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

The recommended range of dosing for theophylline (Corvental) is 5 - 20 mg/kg. How much does Harriet weigh, please?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Around 2.5kg - shes a teacup yorkie

Thank you. 100 mg, then, is 2X the highest dose in the range. Harriet will remain safe albeit jittery and agitated. Mild gastrointestinal distress may arise. How is Harriet currently acting, please?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
No different to normal at the moment. Shes gone to bed and is sleeping

Excellent! If she's been given the theophylline over a long period time, such an overdose will be well-tolerated. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
she's been on it for over a year now. thank you very much.

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.