Jav917
Jav917,
5071285

I caught her rubbing her ear on the carpet, which she has

I caught her rubbing her ear on the carpet, which she has been doing for a while now. She usually does it when her ear is really itchy and will do it until it bleeds profusely. She is panting, kicking at the ground, shaking her head repeatedly, has an odor coming from her ears, and a dark brown/black substance comes out when I wipe them with a paper towel.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Roxie, 5 years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Roxie?
Customer: No

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet tech with over 35 years experience with all Pets.

Do you see any debris in the ears?

Is the ear red indie?

Does she have hanging ears?

Is there any smell tothe ear?

Hoan

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
All I can see in the ears would be that black/brown substance. No other foreign debris. They are red, but more from her scratching at them, as far as I can tell. Her ears don't hang. She's a Boston Terrier/French Bulldog hybrid. And yes, there is a smell to the ears. It is rather foul smelling.

Thank you! Frome your descriptionI suepect that she either has a bacterial or Yeast infection. This will require medication from the Vet.

In the mean time, you can clean the ears with a mixture of three parts Apple Cider vinegar and one part alcohol and put a few drops in each ear, run them gently and you will hear the squisiness, Once that is dome a gauze pad or come cotton wool and wipe the inside of the ear. This should soothe them until you can see the Vet.

You can give 102 mg of Benedryl per pound of body weight to stop the itching.

Please reply to discuss this information and for question. If the information I supplied is helpful please take a moment to rate my service 5 stars.

Joan

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
We did take her to a vet for the same issue a couple years ago. They didn't mention either type of infection at the time. I'm wondering if there isn't a food allergy of some sort, as she has hair loss in some areas, mainly on her neck, and has been licking and chewing on her front paws, as well. I had forgotten to mention this earlier, but when she jumped up next to me, I noticed it. Would that change your diagnosis?

When there is a smell there is an infection, either bacterial or Yeast. They can be a result of a food allergy. Greains are considered an allergen, but it has also been found the protein sources can cause this problem like beef, chicken, Eggs, geen peas.

Allergens can be ingested inhales and contact. and yes allergies can cause ear infections among other issues.

You can try a food trial I suggest a grain free and unique Protein source food like Natural Ba***** *****D . Bison and Veninison are good foods. In order to do a food trial nothing but new food for 6 weeks after she has been gradually weaned on to it.

Before the food trial I suggest getting the ear cleared up.

Please reply to discuss this information.

Joan

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Perfect. I am planning on getting her ears cleaned up here shortly. I just didn't want to spend another $700+ taking her to the vet for them to say "We don't know what's wrong" again. Thank you for the help. I'll definitely look into bison and venison foods. Hopefully it helps.

The apple Cider vinegar and the alcohole will clean them up a bit and the Benedryl relieve the itching until you have her seen.

I try to give you information to help.. My Goddaughters dog had this problem and we has to clean the infection and then start the food trial.

If you feel I have addressed your question, and you rate, there will be an option to marke me as a favorite expert. Fell free to do that.

Joan