Dr Scott Nimmo
Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinary Surgeon.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

He has eaten uncooked naan bread dough Assistant: I'll do

He has eaten uncooked naan bread dough
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ted age 5
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ted?
Customer: He’s a Mexican hairless

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today.

But first, please allow me ten minutes or so to think things over and then type up your answer.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
He was sick earlier with a large proportion of it but is now acting as thoughdrunk

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

The good news is that bread dough is only a concern in terms of toxicity where it is rising bread dough with a high yeast content. Flatbread like Naan is unlikely to be a cause for concern. So the chances are that Ted will be OK. That said, it is possible that some dogs might perhaps suffer a mild transient bout of vomiting { which he is already experiencing } or diarrhoea. But, should this occur it is not likely to be serious and will normally just pass on its own.

Given the above, all you need do is to keep an eye on Ted for now, but I will give you a few tips on how to handle a mild tummy upset should it occur.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastroenteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates: LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day, feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days

3. Live yoghurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yoghurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, a teaspoon twice a day is fine for small dogs ranging up to two tablespoons twice a day for larger dogs.

Of course, if your dog does deteriorate in any significant way or you become further concerned then you should have a local vet check him over as soon as possible. But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Ted's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Actually I have just been researching and it seems that some Nann bread does contain yeast, so it is possible that what you are seeing { Acting as drunk } is related to the yeast as this turns into alcohol which is toxic to dogs. While it is encouraging that he has vomited a large amount of the dough if this symptom continues { Drunk like } then you should have him checked over by a local vet just to be on the safe side.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Thankyou I shall continue with your suggestions and see how we get on. Many thanks