Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

I have a newfie, he is 4 1/2 urs old, today he's acting

Customer Question

Hi, I have a newfie, he is 4 1/2 urs old, today he's acting strangely, he's agitated constantly panting, keeps barking and has started to limp on his front leg, he is eating and drinking fine no sickness or diarrhea
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: There's no visible wound on the leg or foot, it does not hurt him if I touch it and he isn't fussing his leg by licking or anything
Assistant: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Donnie
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Donnie?
Customer: No he is regularly groomed, is not overweight and has never had any health or behavioural issues before, he has always been vaccinated and treated for worms and fleas
Category: Dog
Expert:  Mike McIntyre replied 20 days ago.
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Any underlying health concerns ? Any medications we are on ? What part of the country are you in ?
Are we vaccinated for Lyme disease?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
We are in Cornwall, donnie doesn't take any regular medication and is vaccinated every year
Can we put any weight on this leg? Or do we not want to touch it to the ground at all?
How long ago did the panting and agitation start in?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
It's OK I'm going to take him to our vet to be checked over, thankyou for your help but I think he really need to be seen properly
I agree. You can also ask the veterinarian about tickbirnr disease also. Many of these can cause the same clinical Signs. They can run a test on the blood for those also. I have spent most of my career in a heavily infested tick
Region with high numbers of Lyme, Anaplasma, and Ehrlichia cases.
I wish you good success today at the veterinary clinic. If you have any more questions. I will be happy to help. Have a great day. Dr Mike