Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My wife give dog to shelter and now my dog in over family

Hello my wife give dog to shelter and now my dog in over family can I get her back

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Ok

Could you give me a little more information about the circumstances here? Was your dog signed over to a shelter? Did the dog belong to your wife/did you own the dog jointly?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I been over city for work, then I come back to home my wife tell my that dog in the shelter for adoption, And now her is in over family

OK, was your dogs microchip registered in your name or hers?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
her have microchip and registered on my name

OK. The problem we have here is that by signing the dog over to the shelter your wife will have signed a form relinquishing all right to ownership over the dog (including any further information about the dogs whereabouts) and giving full authority to the shelter to re-home the dog as they see fit.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
but I still owner
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
How I can take her back

Unfortunately not once that form is signed. In order to get your dog back you will need to prove that your wife did not have the authority to relinquish ownership of the dog, this may be difficult as you are married, as most property will be considered to be jointly owned

Did you own the dog before you were married to your wife?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
we buy her 2 years ago,we merried 11 years

OK, that may be a difficulty as she may be considered to have been jointly owned by both of you, with either partner being about to make legal decisions surrounding her.

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
But this lake my wife sale my car and signed form

My advice would be to initially contact the shelter and explain the situation, they may contact the new owners and ask of they would consider relinquishing the dog back to you - but they are under no obligation to do this.

The next step would be to begin court proceedings against the shelter and/or your wife to try and get a court to give custody of the dog back to you. This could be a lengthy and expensive legal process. The scope of which is outside of my remit as a Veterinarian. I would advise going to the local Citizens Advice Bureau to explore your options here. https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

You can also ask another question on here specifying that you would like to pose it to one of the solicitors specialising in family law, they may be able to help with this and the other more general problems that you seem to be having with your wife.

I hope that helps, good luck.

Chris

Also you may be best to contact a solicitor specialising in dog law such as this one https://www.doglaw.co.uk/

Please let me know if you can see those links? Thanks

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Ok Thank you

You're welcome, good luck

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Person from shelter can take signed from my wife, or must ask first my. I want give dog away or no

She would have had to sign to say that she was the legal owner of the dog and had the right to put it up for adoption