Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dogs I a cocker spaniel and is 2 years old and suddenly

Customer Question

My dogs I a cocker spaniel and is 2 years old and suddenly last night he is struggling to stand on back legs as if he has no strength in them
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 17 days ago.
Hello, you are through to Dr Linda.
I'm sorry to hear your young spaniel is having this issue. Certainly at his age this would be very unexpected. Even with a muscle strain/sprain or would expect him to be able to stand and walk, albeit with a limp.
The concern here would be that something more serious is going on, such as a slipped disc in his back. While it may not be something this serious, we would have to thle it out.
At a minimum, the veg will examine him to check for pain, reflexes etc. If concerned, they may well order some diagnostic imaging e.g. x-rays.
If they are happy it is just a soft tissue injury, they may prescribe some medication (anti inflammatories and pain relief) and rest.
I would not delay vet attention as a spinal issue needs urgent attention.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 15 days ago.

Hi there, this is just Dr Linda checking in on Murphy; how are things going?

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 11 days ago.

Hello. This is Dr Linda checking in for the final time to ensure you received my response and to make sure Murphy is okay?