Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

I have a puppy called Casper hes a 7 month old springer

Hi, I have a young puppy called Casper hes a 7 month old springer spaniel
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the puppy?
Customer: hes got a gun dog background, and his natural instinct is to hunt around constantly until he passes out hes not very affectionate
JA: Where does the puppy seem to hurt?
Customer: and I'm trying to get advice to find out if he will grow out of this behavior and be a family dog.. or can some dogs only be "working dogs"
JA: OK. What is the spaniel's name?
Customer: casper
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Casper?
Customer: no
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi,i have a young puppy called Casper, hes 7 months and hes a springer spaniel.
We have found out that a few of his family were gun dogs or considered 'pedigree champions'... hes a lovely dog, but he constantly wants to be out, he'll calm down a bit but then he's in the house constantly on the hunt.He doesn't show a lot of affection, he'll sit near your feet and chew his toy but he wont jump up for a cuddle. And he normally wants to hunt around to find something to do in the evening until he eventually crashes.Because of this behavior, can he be a family pet or does he need to be a working dog? will he learn to be more affectionate, and will he calm down.
we've had a couple of spaniels before and they were more tame.
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Do you have any other dogs on the house? Is this hunting urge staying the same or getting stronger ?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Hi Mike and thank you! Its getting stronger as he has entered his more "active" months
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
no other dogs are in the house, there was an older springer but he was 14 and eventually put down , 3 months into having Casper
Nice to meet you. Do you ever have any intention of getting a second dogs ?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am not considering getting a second dog - just want him to calm down and I'm not sure if these gun dog instincts mean that he cannot be a family pet?
You are very Correct. It is very much in the genes and instinct of these dogs, some more than others the instinct to want to be constantly on the go and the hunt. Many times this can get stronger for the first few years also. They will not be fully grown until near 2 years age. Right now we have a lot of growing both mentally and physically that is occurring. Are we fixed yet?
I have had many bird/gun dogs as great pets personality over the years. Labradores and German Shirt Hair Pointers.
They always enjoyed the hunt and be active. However they did calm down a bit over the years. I have seen so many clients over the years that they also have made great family pets. Many do not even hunt them. They just have for family pets.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
But is that why he might not be affectionate?
However the first year or so, they may be less affectionate also as they are so active, hyper, and curious about the world.
I have seen many cases of non hunting dogs also not being so affectionate. So much of this can come down to the individual personality and behavior also. Do you plan to hunt in time with him ?
Why I asked about getting fixed. They can hit sexual maturity at 6-9 months of age. When they do. The higher levels of testosterone may also make us more high energy and a little less affectionate too. Have you been able to talk to anyone who has any of the littermates?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
He has been neutered around 6 weeks ago, is this what you mean? We haven't spoken to any of his littermates
Neutering. This will help to slow the higher testosterone from even making him more high strung. I would recommend to also if possible. Ask to speak to
The families with the litter mates. Also many times the personality of the puppies will be similar to the parents. I would recommend to also talk to the Breeder. Find out what the parents personalities were and are now. See if they slowed down a little with time and have become more affectionate also with time
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
will the neutering have instant results, or is it a slow process after being neutered?and that's a very good idea.
Well. The fact you neutered now right when the testicles were going to start to produce more testosterone. You may not notice as much any change. Had you not neutered. We may even be more full of energy and have our own
Mind about things. Really you just prevented from getting more strong willed. Good prevention. Then asking as I discussed with
The families the parents and the littermates will give a good balanced decision for you I feel.
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
True - last question.. is there a time I should believe he is a working dog and not a pet (is that even a thing)
Do you plan to hunt any with him ?
I would not classify so much as a “working dog” just more That his personality may not work so well with your household. I would say at 2 years of age once we are fully grown you will be able to tell all the better the direction that our personality will be going