Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

Saturday night my little chihuahua ate a couple cherry pits

Hi, saturday night my little chihuahua ate a couple cherry pits but i didnt realuze at the time. She had some serious diarrhoea, sickness and was shivering. Aftera few hours she perked up and minday morning she was fine. Should i still take her too the vets? Or has it passed? Are there any long term damage i should worry about
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Thats all thanks
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
How old are we ? Any underlying conditions? How do we feel today ? Do we seem to be getting worse or better ?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
3 year old, 3kg chihuahua. No underlying conditions. Shes a lot better. Eating, drinking playing
The toxic principle in the cherry pit can be harmful to dogs if ingested in large enough quantities. However given the fact that we are already almost 2 days since the ingestion occurred, we are feeling better and doing well. These are all good signs.
Just ensure that the next few days we keep eating as drinking plenty. This is most important to ensure all is flushed out of the system. What you experienced earlier was some minor side effects of the ingestion of the cherry pits. The highest concentration of the toxic principle is in the cherry pit and not the cherry material that we eat.
There should not be any long term damage to your little one from this. Fortunately we are a very small amount.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thats great, thank you for your help!
The cherry pits should also pass. In the event we stop passing stools and quit eating. Then we will want to be examined. Otherwise all should be good now. Any orher questions I can answer for you ?