Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My Schnauzer has seeds in her poo, she does one normal poo

My Schnauzer has seeds in her poo, she does one normal poo then the second one is full of yellowy seeds, is this normal?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** she is 10 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lilly?
Customer: I have only had her for just over 5 months, she was a re-home and she also has bald patches occuring every now and then, they are occuring at the moment. I have not taken her to a vet.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
What is her diet? Examine her wet food/dry food/treats etc to see if any contain seeds or anything that may break down into seeds.
Similarly, ensure she is not scavenging anything from the garden such as bird seed that you are unaware of.
Sometimes, certain parasites or their eggs can look like seeds or grains of rice. Be sure she is up to date with a good quality wormer such as Panacur or Drontal Plus.
If she is wormed and her diet is not the suspect, it is unlikely of concern. As long as the poo is solid and formed and she is not losing weight or otherwise unwell, I wouldn't be too concerned.
Fur loss can have many causes including parasites (fleas/lice/mites), allergic skin disease, hormonal issues etc. Ensure she is up to date with a good quality external parasite treatment e.g. Avdocate to rule our parasites. If this does not resolve the issue or if she is itchy or uncomfortable, a vet visit would be warranted.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****