Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

He is very lethargic, a bad cough and a runny nose

Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Nacho aged 10 months
Assistant: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Nacho
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Nacho?
Customer: He also has an ear infection which the vet gave us drops for
Oleksandra-Moderator
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. I do apologise that your question was not answered more promptly and hope that I can still be of help.
While the most common cause of a cough in a dog of Nachos age would be kennel cough, this is a viral infection that should not affect a dogs demeanour or energy levels. However, dogs can sometimes get secondary bacterial infections which can cause runny nose, productive cough and lethargy. In these cases, we need to prescribe oral antibiotics to clear the respiratory infection.
Of course, there are other possible causes of his symptoms (including a foreign body, lungworm etc) but these would be less likely.
When the vet examines him, they will have a good listen to the chest and lungs. They will also assess for dehydration and a fever; as if present these would need to be addressed.
At home, he needs lots of TLC. This means allowing him to rest, offering warm, tasty and strong smelling foods (those with a runny nose have a reduced sense of smell so tend to lose their appetite) and encouraging water drinking. If someone has a steamy bath or shower, have Nacho in the room as this can alleviate congestion. A teaspoon of honey twice a day can also help with any sore throat. If his nose is getting crusty, clean it gently with cotton wool dipped in warm water.
For most young dogs, they will recover from infections like this relatively quickly. If kennel cough is indeed suspected after the vet exam, he must stay away from other dogs while infectious.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks Dr Linda. Nacho has now been to the vet. I called ahead to get a private appointment to make sure we didn’t come into contact with any other dogs. Like you said, the vet has prescribed a course of antibiotics and Nacho should hopefully be back to his normal bouncy self soon.
Great to hear. Wishing him a very speedy recovery and please do let me know if you have any further questions