Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a shitzu which we have had for 9 months, rescue, only

I have a shitzu which we have had for 9 months, rescue, only previously ate junk food which kids had left, very hard to find and feed, but noticed her wee was tingy pink, took her to the vets, had blood tests which were ok and the water sample checked out as something in there, gave me antibiotics synulox, 4 per day but I only gave her 2 as they were making her sick, rang the vets, took another sample up and she said she would have to have a bladder scan, but I am still waiting for the call, however, the tablets which were left 10 days supply I religiously gave her 4 per day and it cleared up and her water was clear, but since finishing them she has started with cloudy wee again, she seems absolutely fine, wet nose, walks, no pains or anything can you suggest what to do please?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: her name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Darcy?
Customer: she has never been good at eating, but I have just got her on Caesar but you have to dobb her nose in it before she eats and only eats once per day 7.00pm at night, drinks throughout the day but otherwise is absolutely fine
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. I am unable to talk on the phone but can talk via typing. If you specifically need to talk over the phone I can opt out of this question in the hopes another vet can talk over the phone at this time
I'm sorry to hear Darcy is having this issue.
Do you know roughly what age she is?
Certainly in an older dog, persistent urine issues require investigation. I agree with your vet that the next step would be an abdominal scan to assess the kidneys, bladder etc. This can check for growths, stones and other abnormalities. At the same time, a sterile needle can be placed within the bladder to collect a urine sample. This is the best way to get a urine sample and to analyse for persistent infections.
Unlike with humans, vets do not generally have waiting lists for scans and most can do them on the day or the next day. Thus, I would call your vet immediately to have her booked in. If your local vet is unable to do so shortly, they should be able to refer you to a local clinic that can.
Many urinary tract infections require several (3 to 4) weeks of antibiotics. When the course is finished, we then need to repeat the urine sample as some infections are persistent and require further treatment. I suspect the course she was on was not for long enough. Do be sure that the vet ran a culture and sensitivity test on the urine (not all will) as this ensures she is being give the appropriate antibiotics.
Its certainly reassuring that she is otherwise well, but her symptoms require further investigation.
With regards ***** ***** as it has been since you got her it is unlikely related to the current issue. Small dogs often only eat once a day so this is unusual. If she is a good body condition score and is not losing weight, I would not be concerned.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks for your reply, I feel she should be given a further lot of antibiotics which I would follow to the rule and give them as directed instead of only giving the 2, don't want to put her through being put to sleep as she is so well, the vet seems to think she has been used for puppies we understood she had had 2 lots but the vet seems to think more, she has only just settled down with us and puts so much trust in myself and follows me everywhere so don't want to upset her by being put in a cage and waiting for an operation, hope you can understand where I am coming from??
Indeed, a course of antibiotics may be all that is required but it would still be prudent to ensure nothing else is going on.
Luckily, the majority of dogs do not require a sedation for an ultrasound and it can be done conscious (similar to a human pregnancy scan).
Similarly, if you are concerned about her being left for a prolonged period most vets will be happy to accommodate you so you could drop her off list before her procedure and collect her after (perhaps in 30 to 60 minutes). At this stage, we would not be considering any sort of anaesthetic or operation, just a scan (imaging).