Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My Alsatian dog 3years old has a sore left ear and ear and

My Alsatian dog 3years old has a sore left ear and ear and is full of dirt /wax how can I help him
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. I'm sorry to hear your dog has this issue.
There are several things that may be going on here including an ear infection, foreign body within the ear (e.g. a grass awn), ear mites etc.
As it is sore, we know there is an issue vs just a waxy ear.
Critically, it is important not to try to treat the eat at home without him first being assessed by a vet. He needs an ear exam. This is to ensure there is nothing in the ear that would need removing and that the ear drum is intact. Putting ear cleaners or any other drops in an ear with a perforated ear drum can cause a lot more harm than good.
As well as examining the ear closely , the vet may take a swab if they think an infection is present. This is to determine which type (bacteria, yeast) so we know the best antibiotics to give.
The vet may also clean the ear out if needed.
The sooner he is assessed the better as most ear issues cause significant discomfort.
I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****

Hi there, this is just Dr Linda checking in to see how Hans is doing and to know if you had any further questions?

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I was asking that Hans has a sore ear keeps shaking his head and the ear is very dirty when I try to clean inside ear all I get is black damp dirt can’t understand how as it is too deep to get in so have you any advice to treat this
Hello there, it seems as though you may not have received the initial response I sent yesterday so here it is:I'm sorry to hear your dog has this issue. There are several things that may be going on here including an ear infection, foreign body within the ear (e.g. a grass awn), ear mites etc. As it is sore, we know there is an issue vs just a waxy ear. Critically, it is important not to try to treat the eat at home without him first being assessed by a vet. He needs an ear exam. This is to ensure there is nothing in the ear that would need removing and that the ear drum is intact. Putting ear cleaners or any other drops in an ear with a perforated ear drum can cause a lot more harm than good. As well as examining the ear closely , the vet may take a swab if they think an infection is present. This is to determine which type (bacteria, yeast) so we know the best antibiotics to give. The vet may also clean the ear out if needed. The sooner he is assessed the better as most ear issues cause significant discomfort. I do hope that this answer has been helpful and please do not forget to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen so I may be compensated for my time. Even after rating we can continue the conversation. All the best, ***** *****