Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have 2 golden retrievers one 5 and one 10 months. They

Customer Question

Hi I have 2 golden retrievers one 5 and one 10 months . They weigh 19 and 29 kg . This morning I found they had between them eaten a plate of meat , Bolonesge that contained about 50gram of onion . It was cooked there was no more than one third of an onion in there . I am not sure who ate the most . They seem fine .. are very active as usual . I have given them their food since and included a herbal powder for their digestion (I give them when they have upset stomachs ) and also some milk thistle . Will they be ok ? Is this amount of onion alright ?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: One is Maisie the other one is poppy
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No both are healthy and active dogs . They eat well and exercise a lot . Maisie has been made sick a few times by the vet for eating mushrooms, chocolate and cakes but other than that is never ill .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 11 days ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few moments as I type my response

Sorry to hear Maisie and Poppy have gotten into some mischief this morning; one pitfall of owning a Golden Retriever is that they can be real vacuum cleaners when it comes to food!

Luckily, they have not eaten a large amount (even if the smaller one ate the whole portion, this would equate to less than 3mg of onion per kg and the lowest reported toxic dose is 15g/kg.

When it comes to onion, it tends to pose more of an issue when fed in small amounts over time as it can build up in the system.

In your guys case, they should be absolutely fine.

However, Bolognese is quite rich (!) so an upset stomach would not be unexpected. I would advise a bland diet of boiled white chicken and rice (no treats or dog food) for the next 24 hours to ensure their stomach is settled. Monitor for any signs such as vomiting or diarrhoea.

It has been a pleasure helping you out today, and I hope that you feel I have earned a five-star rating. Please remember to rate the service by selecting the stars at the top of the screen, otherwise the website will not compensate me for my time. There is no extra charge for this (it’s included in your question fee). Even after rating, you are more than welcome to continue asking questions. Thank you, ***** *****

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 9 days ago.
Hi there, this is just Dr Linda checking in to ensure that you received my response and both dogs are doing well?
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 5 days ago.

Hello, it has now been about one week since your question was first opened and it remains open. Please let me know if you have any further questions I can help with. Otherwise, I would appreciate f you could take them time to rate the answer, thus closing it and allowing me to receive compensation. Many thanks, ***** *****