Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

She is a 27kg GSD and has eaten 2kg of mini markies! Will it

She is a 27kg GSD and has eaten 2kg of mini markies! Will it harm her?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tali
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Tali?
Customer: No
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
She is drinking a lot of water. This happened overnight and I reckon she's had about 4lt water so far this morning - no stools yet

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Sorry to hear this, wow that's a lot of markies to consume!

Firstly I would not panic too much, if she is an otherwise healthy dog then it shouldn't cause any major issues, vomiting, diarrhoea and increased thirst are to be expected over the next 24hrs (probably due to the salt content it's probably the equivalent to us eating about 5 big macs...)

The only slight concern I would have is that eating such a large amount of relatively high calorie treats could initiate a bout of pancreatitis in certain susceptible dogs. So if she develops signs of abdominal pain or.vomiting which goes on for more than 24hrs, then I would take her to the vets.

Over the next 24hrs I would feed only small amounts of a very bland diet and allow plenty of access to water.

I hope that answers your question?

Chris

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you Dr Chris. Diarrhoea has started now so hopefully it will go through fairly quickly She had an unrelated upset stomach on Monday last with sickness and diarrhoea that lasted about 12 hours. I put her on white rice and chicken until last night when she had her usual meal of James Wellbeloved dry and wet. I'll put her back on the chicken and rice? Tali is a rescue GSD and I have had her for 2 weeks, not a breed I have had before. I understand that stomach sensitivity is common.

Yes they can have a delicate stomach, which the markies will not have helped. Chicken and rice for a few days should be fine, hopefully it will all pass through pretty quickly as you say