Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My 10 year old bulldog has started excessively licking my

Hi, my 10 year old bulldog has started excessively licking my other 5 year old bulldog.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the Bulldog?
Customer: He is death and losing his sight and just started to excessively lick the other dog. He won’t listen when I ask him to stop and had started to try to nip you if I try to get him off
Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the Bulldog's name?
Customer: buster
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buster?
Customer: He is still in tact whereas the 5 year old isn’t
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Any underlying medical conditions or Medications we are on? Any change in drinking / eating / urinating /defecating?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No changes, he not on any medication.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Could he bring going senile? He barks a lot at nothing
They can develop what is called Canine Cognitive Disfunction Syndrome
( it senility it is generically called )
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok is there anyway to treat it or just be patient?
Are you noticing difference in the eyes ? Like whitening? Any increase panting ?
Any weight change ?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
His eyes are definitely getting cloudier, I have to show him the food in his bowl because he doesn’t realise there’s still food there, but he will eat when he knows. His hearing has gone. He hasn’t gained or lost weight but does like to be alone a lot
Does it seem that we are having more anxiety also ?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I would say so, he can get quite nervous or shakey if a lot is happening, for example if friends children come over
If we have canine cognitive disfunction (CCDS). We can use a medication called selegiline to help with that. If we have anxiety. A Medication called Paroxetine is very helpful for this
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok thank you for your help Mike
At this age. We like to run baseline bloodwork to asses and ensure no other underlying conditions are occurring. As underlying conditions Can cause anxiety. Do you have a regular veterinarian?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I do, so I will contact them and get things moving
That will be a good starting point. If there is an underlying condition. Addressing this will help with the anxiety. If all is normal, then we can discuss the medications I talked about.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you Mike

These cases can be complex, if you ever would like a follow up on this, you can request a recheck with the same veterinarian. I will be happy to help you in the future on this. I wish you the best of success. Have a great day. Dr Mike