Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 47 years of experience.
55012488

My pup pug has just eaten a pop sock. It’s a tights fabric

Customer Question

Hello my pup pug has just eaten a pop sock. It’s a tights fabric
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if Pug will be able to digest that. How old is Pug?
Customer: 6 months
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pug?
Customer: Nothing
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 month ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Let's see if we can get your pug to vomit that sock. You can do so by dosing him/her with 3% hydrogen peroxide dosed at 10 mL (two measuring teaspoons) per kg of bodyweight. A large eyedropper or small poultry baster placed between his cheek teeth and cheek should facilitate dosing. He/she should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, please repeat the same dose. Please keep me posted.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where can I get that from? Won’t he pass it ?

I hoped that you might still have peroxide in your home prior to the UK prohibiting its sale to the public. If not, there's nothing safe for you to give at home to induce emesis. A vet would do so with an injection of apomorphine.

We hope he can pass the sock unaided but small dogs are more likely to suffer foreign body obstruction in their small intestine than large dogs. Watch for the telltale signs of obstruction - persistent vomiting and/or anorexia. If he's going to pass the sock, it should show up in his stool within 72 hours of ingestion. Adding a teaspoon of psyllium seed (Metamucil, generics) to each of his next three wet food meals may hasten passage of the sock. Please continue our conversation if you wish.