Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My dog has extremely itchy skin idk wat tablet to giv her to

Hi, my dog has extremely itchy skin idk wat tablet to giv her to calm it down
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with your dog?
Customer: She’s got extremely itchy skin, she lost most of her fur but nothing seemed to have stopped it, we tried Apoquel, didn’t work much
Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Nikki and 5 years old
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nikki?
Customer: Not really she was a healthy dog until recently she started this itching out of nowhere
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sure
Do you have any photos that you can upload here for me to review ? Does the hair coat seem thinner ? Does the hair shed more and then grow back in slower ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My name is Sureka
Have we slowed down or put weight on? Panting more? Itching at the paws more ? Yeast odor at times ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hasn’t really showed any behaviour change much, still quite healthy but itching more often
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Itching has been going on for a while now, we tried Apoquel for 2 weeks, but I wouldn’t really say it helped much
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The hair does shed more and grow back slower
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The coating is very thin rite now

In reviewing the image, yes it appears the hair coat is thinner. Many times when Apoquel does not work to stop the itch we are concerned that there is an underlying condition. You may want to have the thyroid level checked. Low thyroid very commonly makes the hair grow slower and shed more, it also weakens the skin and immune system such that these dogs keep having more skin problems. To try to help with the clinical signs now, you can use a medicated shampoo with chlorhexidine and miconzole or ketoconazole. These are over the counter shampoos that will kill the opportunistic yeast and bacteria very well. My concern is that if Apoquel did not help much, then the hypothyroid is a very high differential diagnosis. Your veterinarian can draw blood to assess this level. If it is low, they can put on a thyroid supplement and then a new and healthy skin an hair coat will grow in.

There is a topical hot spot spray with lidocaine and hydrocortisone that you can spray on the affected areas 2-4 times a day also. In reviewing the skin, as red as it is, it appears infected also. Did they give you any antibiotics for skin infection at the last visit?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They didn’t, but they told us to try piriton, they are thinking more along the lines of allergy than other conditions. They said if the Apoquel does not help then they will have to take samples of skin scrapings and biopsies which will cost us a lot too. But they have given her a antibiotic shampoo which we use to wash her twice a week.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Also I thought the hair the shedding more because she keeps scratching at her skin, the places that she can’t reach seems to appear normal in coating...

Piriton is only an antihistamine. I was one of the first clinics to recieve Apoquel when it first was released by Zoetis. It is a fantastic medication. It works much better than an antihistamine like Piriton. In my experience when Apoquel did not work many times we had internal hormonal alterations. Also checking levels like a thyroid are more economical than skin biopsies. The only other alternatives for the skin would be an injectable called Cytopoint also made by Zoetis. This is a once a month injectable that will help to alter the immune system to decrease allergies. Steroids like prednisone can help, however they have a lot of side effects. In looking at the skin, as red and possibly infected it looks. I feel that a course of antibiotics would help a lot to eradicate any complicating skin infection. If I could give any other ideas for over the counter relief ideas I would, Are we on current flea and tick products?

Do you know what the active ingredient in the shampoo you have?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It’s called malaseb shampoo
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have given her flea and worms treatment last week

That is a very good shampoo, however I feel that more needs t be done to get the red skin under control now. I wish I would have another over the counter idea. Did they discuss using an oral antibiotic to help with skin infections? Also many allergy dogs will also have more of the itch just start on the paws first, are the paws and lower legs affected much?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
They did not discuss about any antibiotics really, because when we took her to the vets the skin was fine, until couple of days ago she started getting more irritated again. yes initially it did start on the paws and kinda spread upwards and she got 2 big patches of sore spots behind her front limbs.

I really feel that you will need to discuss this case more with your veterinarian to stop the itfching before we chew and damage the skin even more by chewing. Ask them about cytopoint and also to get the skin under control, some prednisone as a steroid and some antibiotics I feel will be needed now due the severity and extend of how much of the body is affected.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I will ask them about that, thank you so much for your help.

You are more than welcome. I just want you to be able to get to the bottom of this case such that our little one will feel better soon. Best of success. Have a good evening. Dr Mike

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Much appreciated! Thank you.

Happy to help always.