Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

How long shall I continue giving my Shih tzu meloxain. It

How long shall I continue giving my Shih tzu meloxain. It has relieved his symptoms but I don’t want him to regress.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
I presume you mean the non steroidal anti-inflammatory Meloxicam?
Why was he prescribed the medicine and how long has he been on it for? Did the vet specify how long to give it for e.g. a 5 day course?
What age is he and does he have any underlying medical conditions I should be aware of?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is 9 and the vet didn’t say for how long but sold me a repeat prescription. I give daily up to the 8 on the syringe
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
that is the drug. No underlying symptoms. No info on how long but sold me a repeat prescription. I don’t want to harm his stomach. I give up to the 8 on the syringe and he is a lot better now. Do I continue?
Thabk you for your response. Whether you need to continue entirely depends on why the Meloxicam is being given in the first place.
For example, if he strained a muscle and it has now improved, we would not continue the medicine.
However, if he has a long term condition such as osteoarthritis , it is likely he needs the medicine longterm. I would suspect this is the case if he was given a repeat prescription.
If you dont know why he was given the medicine, it's very important you discuss this with the vet who prescribed it in the first place.
A large number of older dogs will be on Meloxicam for life and it is considered a very safe drug that can help manage chronic conditions and keep dogs comfortable, improving their quality of life.
As there is a small risk of e.g. hepatotoxicity (liver damage) monitoring blood tests are recommended every 6 months or so.
Similarly, some dogs will develop stomach upset and even gastric ulceration so we need to monitor closely for symtpoms such as bloody diarrhoea or vomiting.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for your very helpful reply. I think I will just reduce the dosage now that he is doing better.