Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

15 year old Beagle has reverse sneezing (which we now have

15 year old Beagle has reverse sneezing (which we now have under control) and nasal discharge (mainly from one nostril - and which we don't have under control though it is less). She is still eating well and exercising better than most 15 year old Beagles. She has had Benedryl, two lots of antibiotics, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory and a dose of steroids. Has had her nose scoped, vet scoped thoroughly and found her nostril to be inflamed but nothing obvious as she had expected - ie no: foreign body, cauliflower like growths that would indicate fungus infection, polyps etc. Flushed both nostrils thoroughly and all that was discharged was a lot of snot! Has had full bloods which have shown nothing particular of concern - a little change to her liver but nothing of great concern. Tempted to leave her unless she becomes uncomfortable. At the moment we are occasionally putting her into a steamy bathroom for 5 minutes and that's about it. Visited specialist vet who wants to do it all over again (ie another scope of her nose and a CT Scan). I am loathe to put her through this again as she seems fine in herself and also I am becoming convinced that I won't get a diagnosis.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
as I can't get to review my question I can't remember if I mentioned that she isn't losing weight, the sneezing and reverse sneezing started about 6 weeks ago and she had her nose scoped just over a week ago and it hasn't become worse and if anything has got better but she still has a 'snotty' nose. It varies from clear snot to milky to greenish snot.
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
When was the last time bloodwork was ran? Also what antibiotics have been used and for how long also?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Full Bloodworks ran yesterday (23 September). Two things showed up. Slightly elevated white blood cell count but according to specialist nothing that she hasn't seen from stress alone, though might be an indicator of inflammation? Probably not related but one of her main liver results has nearly doubled in a week. Sorry can't remember the second antibiotic but the first one was clavaseptin for 10 days, one every 12 hours with an initial boast from the vet. The steroid tables were Prednisolone and she was on 2 twice a day for 3 days and then 1 every 12 hours for 2 days only as vet took her off them pre scoping (but kept antibiotics going) - to be honest she was no different on them anyway. Today she appears fine and doesn't sound full of mucus or have a snotty nose which is bizarre as for the past 4/5 days she has been sneezing and full of green snot. Is it possible that she has dislodged whatever it was herself since the scoping? Is this a wait and see?

Thank you for the detailed write up. Would it be possible to send to me a copy of the bloodwork here for my review? We can keep this question open for some days, so no hurry. Is the other antibiotic Metronidaozle?

The concern is that we may have a small are of buildup of infection in the sinuses somewhere. How long total have the antibiotics been used for?

What did you mean by a change to the liver ? Elevated liver enzymes ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will ask for bloodwork. Yes to elevated liver enzymes. Emergency vet gave her first antibiotic (not sure of name) for 5 days plus non-steroidal anti-inflammatory tablets. Our vet gave her 10 days of the Amoxicillian running with steroid (only on steroid for 5 days due to scoping). Vet scoped to rule out blockage as predominantly one nostril was blocked and she was sneezing up to thirty times a day then and gagging. She also had a tooth (lower molar) removed at the same time which I forgot to mention - I was concerned about an infected tooth affecting her sinuses as happened to me so asked them to check her teeth at the same time. We have recently steamed her in enclosed shower room for 5 minutes and that does make a difference. As you have mentioned sinuses I personally think that she looks as though she has swollen pads of some sort to the side of her face and below her eye socket.

Swollen pads? You mean swollen paws? Also if we only had amoxicillin we may have many things resisitant in the sinus passages only to amoxicillin. Many times we will also want to use an antibiotic called Metronidazole, as this antibiotic will do a very good coverage of the anarerobic bacteria (the ones that live without oxygen) now was it Claviseptin or just Amoxicillin by itself. The liver enzymes being elevated also may be an indication of other underlying conditions also.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will go back to vet and ask for the antibiotic Metronidazole. Thank you so much for that. My dog was given Claviseptin (I thought it was another name for Amoxicillin). Re liver enzymes will ask for regular blood test to keep an eye on it. Thanks for your help.

Clavisteptin has amoxicillin in it, however it has also clavulanic acid to increase the killing spectrum for more resistant bacteria. Many times I will use both claviseptin and metronidazole together for minimum 14 days, some cases will need to go for 3 or 4 weeks to adequately clear the more chronically seated bacteria in the sinus area.