Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My dog had a run in with a stick and his leg the other day,

My dog had a run in with a stick and his leg the other day, he has a cut on his leg, he wont let anyone near it but he is fine in himself with it, apart from if we take him on a long walk, I dont know if I should have him checked out cause of this, when it happened the wound was cleaned and he seemed a little sorry for himself but that is it
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: Not at all
Assistant: Phew. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 2 and a German shepard
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Opie?
Customer: He can at times not like people but otherwise he a healthy dog
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
Can you send a photo here to review if this injury ? Is it painful ? Are we eating and drinking well?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That's fine
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I dont have that much money to be doing phone calls
Oh. We can type it all here. The system just automatically sends that call offer out
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This is where we have a little other issue, my dog is at my daughters for a few week as I been in hospital and they are looking after him while I get back on my feet again, and he wont let them near it, but he walking fine unless they take him on a to long walk then he limps a little, the wound has been described as mainly pink with little redness, he has started to clean it himself too and he eating and drinking fine aswell
I hope you are having a speedy recovery also. How long and how wide to you feel the wound is. We can describe if all here. No problem
What have they been cleaning it with ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's been cleaned with warm water and had anti bacterial powder put on it, when they will let them near and it's like the size of a 5p piece
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Its pink with a little red nearer where he got the wound from the stick
It does nkt appear to be all the way through the skin like a laceration then?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
it is a cut
Are the edges of the skin far apart or not so far apart from the cut? Can you see muscle underneath it?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not so far apart n no you cant

Okay that is good. You mentioned he is touchy with it, will he let them clean it or does he get unhappy about that?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
He gets unhappy about it
This area of the body is moist and this can allow the normal yeast and bacteria that colonize the skin to get to higher levels, then this will set up these small areas of infection. I would recommend to get a shampoo that has chlorhexidine and miconazole, one type is called Malaseb. Then a topical spray called Micochlor that you can spray on the area 2-4 times a day. Both of these products will kill the yeast an bacteria. They can be found at pet stores or ordered on line like on Amazon. The chlorhexidine will kill yeast and bacteria and the miconazole also will. If we are itchy, there is a topical hot spot spray that has lidocaine and hydrocortisone in it. This can help a lot to stop the itching. When you bathe let sit on for 10 minutes. The sprays can be used 2-4 times a day as needed.
This would be the best recommendation. I could give for an area of damaged skin like this to help prevent more infection topically and to also help to prevent us from licking at it so much.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this will help and he should be ok and no trips to the vets for him unless we think he getting worse??

Without seeing the wound I am basing this totally off of our discussion, however as it sounds, if we use this protocol as above to keep the area cleaned up, and to prevent more infection. It appears to be healing, we keep eating and drinking. Then we should be on the right path. Now if it changes any, you can request to send your question to me, simply request Doctor Mike, and customer service will send the question to me. I will be happy to review. However over the years I have had very good success using this protocol. Any other questions I can assist you with today?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No that is it thank you very much for your time on this matter and if anything else comes along I will he in touch or if I think it is getting worse from what they say i will have him straight to the vets
You are more than welcome. Best of success with this and I also wish you a speedy recovery too for yourself. Have a good day. Dr Mike
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
You too Dr Mike and thank you

Anytime)