Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

We have a 6-month-old, weighs about 5kg and we are unsure

Hi we have a 6-month-old ***** *****, weighs about 5kg and we are unsure how much and how often to feed her. We are currently feeding her three meals a day, but although really healthy she does not seem as interested as she was when she was younger. Your advise would be appreciated.
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a fes questions to help me better understand your case.
How long have you had this little one? How is our weight ? At a good weight now ?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi since she was 5 weeks and she currently weighs 5kg.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is extremely healthy and has alot of energy.
These puppies will not finish growing until 1.5 to 2 years of age. They are active and energetic and growing rapidly. I start with what the bag says on the side for the weight. Then adjust I accordingly. Many times if we feed exactly what the bag says for the weight. We will underfed puppy. Not until they become older and we are concerned many times that they are getting too fat. Then we have to restrict the caloric intake. Many times young ones like this. We can just keep slowly increasing the amount of food we have for them. Many people, myself included, have great success with even free feeding them. If is works for ny having accidents In the house.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay thanks.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Also do you believe in a mixture of dry and wet food?

Yes I do, I use the wet food as the "treat" for my pets and the dry food as the mainstay of the diet. Wet food is more calorie dense, so when they get older and maybe a bit obese, then we will want to back down on the wet/canned food. As long as the hair coat and the stools are looking well and the dog is liking the food, then I say we have a good protocol for the individual dog. Any other questions I can answer today for you?