DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Experience:  20+ yrs exp. Emerg, Int Med, Ultrasound, Gen Practice.
20798050

He's just eaten a huge bit of rubber and I am nt sure what

HI... he's just eaten a huge bit of rubber and I am nt sure what to do
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buddy, 6 years old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Buddy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Buddy?
Customer: No he's generally in good health
Hi. Dr. Brazzell here. Hard or soft rubber. How heavy is he?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It was soft, thick rubber - about 4-5 inches long, and an inch thick - swallowed whole. He's 11kg
okay we should induce vomiting. Do you have hydrogen peroxide?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I don't unfortunately
Are you able to get some?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If you think that's what I need to do? If I am unable to make him sick do you think he'll need urgent veterinary care immediately?
If we can get him to vomit then we can solve the problem. If not we have to worry about it getting stuck.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
we need to make him vomit straight after he's eaten it, or soon after - how long is it safe to wait? I'm based in UK and it is late at night... it is safe to wait til morning and see how he is or not?
If In UK you will not be able to buy peroxide OTC. Ideally we have vet induce vomiting but if unable to get in then we sit tight and add 2-3 tbsp sweet potato to each meal for 2 days. Update me tomorrow. Paul
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK... I will give him some sweet potato now and in the morning.. cooked or raw?