Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 48 years of experience.
55012488

My dog has eaten 400mg of calcium. Will she be ok

My dog has eaten 400mg of calcium . Will she be ok

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Rosemary, even the smallest dog won't be harmed by 400 mg of calcium. That's a very small dose often found in over the counter antacids which we can administer to dogs. There's no need to induce emesis nor treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had puppies on Sunday evening and developed mastitis which our vet is treating with antibiotics.
In the meantime, a friend who is a breeder, told us to give her calcium as thought she might have eclampsia.
So over the last 24hrs she has in total had 600mg of calcium.
I was worried tonight as she is quite lethargic.
She is feeding pups well.
For 3 days after the birthing she continued nesting, panting and was restless and pacing but now she’s lethargic. So I was worried the calcium would have damaged her.
The Mammary which had been very hard and swollen has now gone down a fair bit today.
Do you think she’ll be alright??? So worried
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dr Salkin.
Have you seen my response

Please don't be alarmed. Dosing of calcium carbonate is recommended at 20 mg/kg every 8 hours for the lactating bitch suspected of suffering from eclampsia. How much does Narlah weigh, please?

With eclampsia the approximate order of disease progression/severity is as follows: anxiety, restlessness, pacing, whining, disinterest in pups>pruritis (itchiness) and biting at feet>staggering, ataxia ("drunken sailor"), and muscle stiffness>panting, progressing dyspnea (difficulty breathing)> mydriasis (wide-open pupils)>muscle tremors, collapse.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Narlah weighs 8.8kg
She is just so lethargic but as my daughter has just said, Narlah didn’t sleep for 3 nights after the birth and was restless, panting and pacing a lot during the days.
She is looking after her babies very well. Feeding and cleaning them and they are all gaining weight well.

She's doing quite nicely although she's fighting an infection and needs her proper rest. She's been through the mill! 600 mg of calcium daily is a proper dose and won't be harmful. It won't cause lethargy. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for your time and help this evening.
It is very much appreciated

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.