Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 47 years of experience.
55012488

Salkin I was speaking to you a couple of days ago about my

Hi Dr Salkin
I was speaking to you a couple of days ago about my dog who had eaten 400mg calcium and who had just given birth 3 days previously.
It turns out she had mastitis and the vet had given her antibiotics and paracetamol.
The mammary has gone down quite a lot and pups are feeding well.
My concern now is, she’s seems quite lethargic now, showing no interest in anything and she is not interested in eating( seems to have lost her appetite)
I am wondering if her lack of interest ( apar
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is anyone there.
I was looking for Dr Salkin
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is anyone going to help me. I’ve waited over 30 mins
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Now almost 2hrs. Can anyone help

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

Sorry for the delay. it's 6 AM here in Hawaii. Your post was truncated at "I am wondering if her lack of interest (apar..."

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok
So it was supposed to carry on with
“Apart from her pups is due to us taking our other two dogs to a family member while the pups are so young or if her disinterest is because there’s something wrong.
She’s lost her appetite which is worrying too

Thank you for the additional information. Which antibiotic has she been taking? The two safest ones when there are nursing pups are amoxicillin/clavulanate and cephalexin but both can cause gastrointestinal distress in the form of anorexia, vomiting and/or diarrhea.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She has been prescribed clavaseptin

The Clavaseptin (amoxicillin/clavulanate) is safe for the nursing pups but it can cause the anorexia you're seeing. It needs to be discontinued and a cephalosporin such as cefadroxil prescribed to be given once daily. Please let Nariah's vet know what you're seeing. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is the alternative one that you’ve mentioned tolerates better??
Today she hasn’t drank any water st all and is very lethargic.
No response from talking to het

Hopefully, yes, but, it too can upset her. It sounds as if she would benefit from supplemental fluids given by needle by her vet. Although I don't like to disturb nursing dogs, her anorexia including not drinking dictates a recheck visit with her vet.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We have an appointment with our vet for 8pm BST (United Kingdom)
So I will get back to you after her appointment for further advice ( if needed)
Is this a common problem for 1st time mothers?

That's good to hear.

No, but a complication we do see from time to time. Please keep me posted.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Dr SalkinMy daughter is now back home with Narlah.
The vet has checked her over and said that the mammary which she had the mastitis in seems to have cleared up so she’s to stop having that antibiotic.
Like you, he said it could be a side effect of it which has stopped her eating and drinking.
He said she’s slightly dehydrated and to try and get some fluids into her.
He also said to take her away from the pups several times a day to give her some rest from almost continuous feeding.
So I’m hoping that stopping the antibiotic will now get her eating and drinking again.
Another thing she’s started doing is going to the toilet in the house which she’s not fine since she was a tiny puppy but we can’t figure out why she’s started doing this.
She also started going behind the shrubs in the garden and hiding ( which she did as a puppy when she arrived at our home.
Any ideas why she’d be doing this now?

Thank you for the good update. I suspect that she's so concentrated on her pups that she's forgotten her potty training and going wherever its convenient to do so. This should be a transient lapse in behavior as she becomes less and less involved with them.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you very much once again today.
So she should be ok stopping the antibiotics even though she’s only had half the course?

If her vet believes so, yes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you. This is all for now

It's my pleasure. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.