Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

He is caughing very weird Assistant: I'll do all I can to

Hi. He is caughing very weird
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: it happened these days a little but i talked with his vet back home gave him an aspirine and he was better but tonight he scares me
Assistant: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: yes a pomeranian
Assistant: Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the Pomeranian's name and age?
Customer: Teddy
Customer: 2 years old
Assistant: How old is Teddy?
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Teddy?
Customer: No no health conditions
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. I do apologise that your question was not answered more promptly and hope that I can still be of help.
How long exactly has this cough been going on and could you describe it further (is it wet or dry, how long do coughing fits last, any sneezing/nasal discharge)?
Does anything trigger the cough e.g. lying down for long periods, exercise?
Is Teddy up to date with his lungworm prevention?
Have any tests been run so far e.g. chest xrays?
Does he seem otherwise well (no lethargy, no breathlessness, able to exercise as normal, no weight loss, no vomiting)?
Finally, have you ruled out reverse sneezing? This is commonly mistaken for a cough in smaller breeds. I would encourage you to YouTube a video of reverse sneezing to ensure this is not what you are seeing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi. He has all the vaccines anti flu anti rabbies all because he was travelling from
romania to London so i had to make him all. Is it dry he doesn't take anything out but it feels like he can not breathe very easy. Is there a way you can prescribe antibiotics for him? I am
Giving him pet wellbeing thought syrop
Thank you for this information.
Unfortunately online vets are not legally allowed to provide prescriptions or medications- you need to see the vet in person for this. However, even if I could it would not be appropriate to prescribe antibiotics as there are many potential causes for his symptoms, with infection being just one of them. Giving him antibiotics may not do anything to help and could even create a resistant bacterial population so is not recommended without due cause.
The first step is a vet check to listen to his heart for any murmurs/abnormal breathing sounds and to ensure his oxygenation is good. We also want to check that he is well hydrated and does not have a fever.
It may be from his exam alone that we will know what is going on. If not, the vet may suggest some chest x-rays and/or blood tests so we can get a diagnosis and start him on the most appropriate therapy.
As he came from Romania it is vital that we check for heartworm. If he is not up to date with lungworm prevention we should also check for this. Both are simple blood tests.
The sooner we find out what is going on the sooner we can start treatment and get him better.
Be sure to avoid a neck collar and use a body harness to avoid irritating his throat further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He doesn't have any heartworm
He had the vaccin and the pill against it
I guess i will go at a vet
No problem and please feel free to keep me updated on what the vet finds and to ask any further questions you may have.