Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog has lost his appetite. I tried different food. He

Customer Question

My dog has lost his appetite. I tried different food. He does eat a piece of chicken from my hand-
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: He has bern having loose stools for about 10 days. And scoots after a poop. And poops a bit and them has to go again a few meters further.
Assistant: The Expert will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Dexter. 6 years old. Golden Cocker Spaniel
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dexter?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I feed him grain free mix wet and dry. He has been eatimg the same food for about 3 years. Naturo Grain Free.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has had worm treatment.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He is not showing any other symptoms. He is lively and energetic and amazing as always.
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 1 month ago.

Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response

I'm sorry to hear Dexter is not himself.

Has he ever had this before and has he got any medical conditions I should be aware of?

Similarly, is he on any medicine at the moment?

Have there been any changes that may have triggered this e.g. new pet, new person in the home, house move, construction work etc?

How long has he had a reduced appetite for? Will he still eat, for example, 50% of his normal portion? Is he eating things like chews and treats?

Do you know if he has lost any weight?

When you say loose stools are they just slightly soft or are they watery? Any blood, tarriness or slimy mucus in the stool? How often is he going?

Thank you in advance for answering these questions which will help me provide you with the best answer

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He has no medical conditions. His routine hss not changed recently.He never liked treats and still wont eat them. He did eat chicken from my hand again yesterday and this morning. He
Watery stools. Like melted ice cream. However. Today on his walk he pooped a single hard nugget .
I cant tell how often he goes because altough he always goes on our daily walk - he also has free access to our large back yard. He sometimes uses it, but I dont check daily.
He is otherwise healthy, shiny nose and coat and eyes and is full of boisterous energy on his walks.
Can you recommend some sort of probiotic or something? I will change his food to another brand for a while perhaps?
He gets daily excercise of an hour involving lots of running, chasing birds, balls and squirrels.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
His reduced appetite about 10 days now. He will eat a few bites because I order him (he is very obedient) but then walks away. The food stays there for hours until I throw it.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I forgot to say - he eats grass on every single walk.. As soon as he gets near longish grass he goes into cow mode.

Thank you for this information.

Grass eating can be normal for some but may also indicate increased stomach acid and/or nausea, especially if they are suddenly much more interested in grass eating than they used to be.

His symptoms are quite vague and non-specific but it does sound as though he is remaining happy and well throughout which is the main thing!

Given how long he has had symptoms for, it would be prudent to ensure his weight is staying the same (you can usually check this at your vet free of charge or use scales at home if you have big enough ones and know his previous weight) and he is continuing to stay well hydrated (his gums should be nice and wet when you touch them rather than sticky/dry).

Probiotics will certainly not do any harm and may help. The best ones contain ingredients to stop frequent/runny poo and also contain good gut bacteria. I recommend Protexin Prokolin or VetPro Digestive Function or Canigest. Most will only need a 2-3 day course and can be purchased online, from pet shops and from vets.

Probably the best food to trial at this time would be a bland, sensitivity diet such as Hill's I/D or Royal Canin Gastrointestinal. Most dogs prefer the wet versions and warming them slightly before offering them can increase palatability. To ensure he is consuming enough of his food, refer to the chart on the back of the tin which will tell you how much a dog of his size needs. Avoid indulging him with chicken/tit bits to ensure he does eat his balanced dog food. If absolutely necessary, a small amount of chicken could be mixed in well to encourage eating if her otherwise refuses.

If things to not improve dramatically quickly, we really would need to look into this further. It may be that he has a sore tooth, foreign body in the mouth or grumbling pancreatitis; all of which would decrease appetite. Of course, there are many other potential causes. If signs persist, the best course of action would be a general vet check from nose to tail and a basic blood test. If nothing is detected, a trial of anti-nausea/ant-acid medicine may be suggested, especially as he has been munching on a lot of grass recently.

Given that he has been scooting, we would also want to check his anal glands. Anal gland impactions and infections can cause a lot of discomfort and may well lead to reduced appetite.

As a final note, with regards ***** ***** he has had, I would just want to double check that this is a good quality product (such as Panacur or Drontal Plus) and that it was given within the last 3 months?

Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 29 days ago.
Hi there, this is just Dr Linda checking in on Dexter- how are things going?