Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

HE HAS GOT INTO THE FOOD CUPBOARD AND QUITE A LARGE AMOUNT

HE HAS GOT INTO THE FOOD CUPBOARD AND QUITE A LARGE AMOUNT OF DOG FOOD. YOU CAN SEE THAT HE HAS EATEN IT!!! WHAT SHOULD i DO?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: TEDDY AND HE'S 2 AND A HALF
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about TEDDY?
Customer: NO I DONT THINK SO . HE IS A WORKING TYPE LAB HAS NOT BEEN CASTRATED AND IS QUITE LIVELY BUT OBEDIENT! DOESNT SEEM TO BE IN ANY PAIN BUT YOU CAN TELL HES NOT QUITE HIMSELF!

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I see cases similar to this quite frequently. It is called food bloat. Basically they just eat a lot of "food" and make their stomach distended. For the vast majority of these cases, there is nothing needed to be done but to let them rest and digest their extra large meal. What I have owners watch for is non-productive vomiting. Larger breed dogs could have this cause a twisted stomach, but it isn't common at all. IF he was my dog and I had him do this, I'd just let him rest and monitor.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Many thanks. He seems fairly normal in his actions just drinking a little more and lying down. I will wait to see how he goes Many thanks. Kathy Singer

Sounds like he's doing what they typically do. They are "full" and they want to rest and have some water. I would let him continue to rest and just monitor. IF he starts to act really uncomfortable with trying to vomit, then he needs to be seen.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

Absolutely no problem! Tell him to stay out of trouble. :)