Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My chocolate lab, Polly, who seems to have constant issues,

My chocolate lab, Polly, who seems to have constant issues, was diagnosed in August, with an MRSP infection in a wound in her cheek after scratching ( shes already had an MRSP infection in a digital ulcer). Following a culture she was given 4 weeks of ronaxan, which seemed to clear everything up. However, a similar lesion in pretty much the same place came up again and so off for another culture. This time it came back with no mention of MRSP, but did say that she has a streptococcal canis skin infection?! This isn't something I'm familiar with and haven't had a chance to discuss it with my vet yet. Again, Polly seems fine in herself, but is like to know more about this infection and how it could be treated. Is it likely to be problematic, and is it serious. Thank you in advance. I've always had such good advice from this site

My name is ***** ***** I am a Vet Tech with over 35 years experience in Pet Health Care.

I would like to try and assist you, but your question was cut off. Can you please restate the question.?n

Joa

I am sorry I will opt out I just got the other information pop up and I feel you need a Vet Experienced in Infectious disease.

Joan

Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
How old are we? Are we prone to repeat skin infections? Any underlying health concerns ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Mike. Polly is 8.5 years old labrador. Shes had atopy for years and currently takes apoquel. She is also diabetic, but currently, fingers crossed, it is well managed and she does well
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Yes she has had itchy ears, itchy feet etc as part of the atopy. Had an immune thing done and has allergy to dust/house mites

How is the hair coat? Is it a bit thinner or more coarse? Does it grow back in slower? Do we many times have a bit of a yeasty or musty odor?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Actually coat is really nice and shiny at the moment. Her ears can smell a bit yeasty at times

Strep canis is a normal bacteria that is part of the normal flora of the skin found on dogs. Diagnosis of this will be very common. This is one of the common bacteria that is on their skin. At times if we have underlying conditions or say a cut or abrasion to the skin, this bacteria can get deeper into the system. Remember the whole body is covered in bacteria, the GI tract, the mouth, the skin. It all comes down to the normal flora and the abnormal flora. There also can be underling conditions that can make things worse and allow the flora to get out of harmony, or the normal flora of bacteria to gain deeper entry and access into the system.

Have you been doing any medicated baths or treatments to keep the skin and haircoat in a healthier way?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She does have this small wound on her cheek, which was previously diagnosed as mrsp infection, but not this time. Her eyes have been a bit more gooey" lately. Is that something that could be linked. Vet phoned through the result of this latest culture but don't know if it requires any specific treatment - antibiotics?(tho I'm trying to keep her off them if at all possible)
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry just seen your added comment. Haven't been doing medicated baths, ( tho I do have Malaseb shampoo??? Nothing else reslly
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ps. I have another choc lab, Lola, her litter mate. Is Pols current condition something that could be passed on to her

This is more of a self limiting issue I feel. Have we put on weight this last year? How often do we get skin infections? Do we get repeat ear and paw infections?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Polly is a big girl, and after diagnosis with diabetes, we've made a concerted effort to lose weight. Was a whopping 60kg, now 52 kg. Is a nibble at feet and a scratcher of ears pretty much all the time. Try to help ears with trizoral and has predicted forte for gooey eyes

Malaseb is a good shampoo, it has chlorhexidine and miconazole in it. This does a good job to kill both yeast and bacteria. There is also a spray called Micochlor that can be ordered online on Amazon that also has miconazole and chlorhexidine in it. You can spray this on areas to also help to control the yeast and bacteria at localized places. It does not get absorbed into the system, so it keeps systemic medications lower in the system.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry should say Pred Forte drops

Have they ever tested the thyroid level. Many of these type of dogs have many of these skin problems from an underlying condition like low thyroid that makes the skin not as healthy and weakens the immune system so we are more susceptible to opportunistic skin infections.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oo, that sounds useful. I will certainly get some. Pol is a happy girl. Eats well and is lively. Bless her, she just always seems to have some issue and I don't want her to be miserable

What is in the trizoral ear product? I may have a better protocol for them also.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No as far as I'm aware, shes never had a thyroid test . Can ask my vet to carry out one. Thanks so much. S, let me get those straight - theres nothing about this particular thing that is cause for concern healthwise and lola couldn't "catch it"?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Trizaural, so the bottle says, is an aqueous ear flush that you squeeze into the ear, rub a bit, then wipe clean
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry I'd spelt it wrong initially

If there Is an underlying low thyroid, then we get on the thyroid supplement, within a very short period of times the skin and immune system return to a healthier state, many times the atopy is coming from the low thyroid, the apoquel is addressing the itching but not the underlying cause. Just wanted to mention that to you. It may help, then they also lose weight, become more active and energetic again, like a normal healthy dog would be.

I am going to send an ear protocol that will work better for you also.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That would be great. I'll certainly ask about it. I'm hypothyroid myself.
The ear canal is in the shape of an "L", this allows for the ear canal to become very moist and warm, then the opportunistic yeast and bacteria that normally live in the ear canal can start to grow to higher levels. The key is we need to flush the ears twice a day to start with. There is an ear flushing solution that has chlorhexidine and miconozole or ketoconazole in it. This will remove the debris and the chlorhexidine will also kill the yeast and the bacteria in the ear canal. Then once the ears get healthier we can decrease on an as needed benefit. You may need to do from time to time to keep the ears healthy. The miconazole and the ketoconazole will also help with the yeast too. One product name you can look for is Micochlor. This product can be purchased over the counter at pet stores or online like on Amazon
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well thank you very much. You've given me some good advice that I will certainly act on. Was just a bit perturbed at the mention of another bacteria. Sounds like its controllable and nothing serious. No need for antibiotics??

This ear flush has decreased my rate of repeat ear infections approximately 95%. It will control the bacteria and the yeast much more effectively than the Trizaural. It is the best prevention for more ear problems you can find.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you Mike. Can I just check finally on the antibiotic issue

About the bacteria, you will always find bacteria, they are covered in it. My biggest concern for your little one was the amount of repeat infections. This is why I think there is more going on to cause it. I like to look for the underlying problems and not just treat the clinical signs.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Me too. Think the vets must think I'm a fussy mum. We need a seat with our name on it at the surgery!! I'll get onto it again with vet and will definitely use the malaseb andvthe Micochlor

You can request follow up with the same veterinarian on Just Answer. If you ever want to request me in the future to ask questions to about your cases, you can ask customer service to forward them on to me. I will be happy to help.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much. I most certainly will. How do I go about giving you a rating g

I will select the answer option now, then you can accept the answer and do the rating. Any other questions I can answer for you now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think that's fine thanks - oo just the issue of whether this is something that could affect her sister. Obviously they live in close proximity

This all will be self limiting. The same bacteria are on both of your dogs. The sister just does not have any underlying health problems, that is why she is able to keep control over her natural flora on the skin. However all dogs are prone to ear issues, you may want to use the ear flush I mentioned to atleast once a week clean her ears to help prevent any problems also.

Mike McIntyre,
Experience: Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much Mike, you've been really helpful. I will be eating you 5*
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Or even rating you. Sorry