nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has been poorly since Wednesday night, he has been

Hello, my dog has been poorly since Wednesday night, he has been vomiting continuously. On Thursday he was eating a bland diet. Yesterday he stopped being sick, but won’t eat. So he hasn’t eaten anything since Thursday. We went the vets last night and she gave him 3 injections, one was anti sickness, one was pain relief (vertigesic) or something like that and the last one I believe was for acid. when he got home he was really lethargic and wouldn’t move and was wobbly on his feet. How long will these symptoms last? He is a Labrador, 4 years old. He still won’t eat this morning, but isn’t being sick anymore
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: no I don’t think so

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now I suspect the wobbliness is from the Vetergesic as this is a very strong pain relief that can make them sedate/wobbly (we often use it for surgical pain). Usually the effects pass within 12-24 hours, though I would note that in his case some of the wobbliness could be related to dehydration/low energy from his not eating. That said, it is good that he has not vomited more but it is a concern that we have a Lab that won't eat. It suggests that he still has a degree of nausea not settled by the treatments he has had. That may mean its severe (and we need further/stronger treatment) or that the problem causing the signs is still present (eg foreign body). Therefore, its worth ringing his vet this morning and updating them (we don't want this going on over the weekend if we can help it). They can dispense a stronger anti-nausea medication and an appetite stimulant to see if we can give him a push to eat. As you use those, we can keep tempting with favorite foods +/- the bland diet. Just other bland options you could try are rice/pasta/boiled potato with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Finally, if he cannot be tempted and since he is not vomiting, we can syringe feed. For that you can use watered down canned puppy food or there are OTC vet options you can get from your local vet.

Kind regards,

Dr. B

**************************
Afterwards, as I am giving you my own free time, please take a moment & rate me with the **STARS** (or leave a written rating of 1-5; 5 being great). Otherwise the site won't credit me for helping you. There is no extra charge for this & rating me now does not close your question. We can continue until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you! : ) **

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for your reply. We have also noticed his drool is slightly yellow/brown with a bad smell and I’ve just noticed a small drop of the same liquid drip from his nose. Any idea why this is?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
When he burbs aswell there’s a very foul smell from his mouth

You are very welcome,

Since the nasal discharge and drool are like this, it could be related to upper airway infection (where there is post nasal drip affecting the drool). Though its possible for dental infection/tooth root abscess to erode through the bone between the nose/mouth to cause similar signs. So, those would be suspect and we may want the vet to add in an antibiotic in case.

Best wishes,

Dr .B.