How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr L Simmon Your Own Question
Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 932
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr L Simmon is online now

Assistant: How can I help? We have a 3 year old English

This answer was rated:

Hi,
Assistant: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: We have a 3 year old English springer spaniel and she has had a virus. The vet gave her some antibiotics and she seemed to be on the mend. Then since Friday she hasn't eaten any food and has no energy at all. She's walking round and doesn't know what to do with herself. I've just had to wipe her mouth because she is slavering. I've tried to cool her down but she won't settle
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: She had an operation about a month ago because she cut herself while out in the woods. The operation was a precaution to make sure there was nothing inside the wound
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
I'm sorry to hear your Spaniel has been unwell.
When did she become unwell and what were her symptoms?
What, if any, tests did the vet run at the time?
When she was checked do you know if the vet found any abnormalities e.g. fever, enlarged glands, tender abdomen?
Did the medicine seem to help initially?
Is she on any medicine right now?
Has she not had any food or water at all in the last 48 hours?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi she had an operation to look in her stomach to make sure there was nothing there after cutting it running through the undergrowth they said there was nothing there 4 weeks ago I then took her back to vets last week as she was breathing short and lethargic bet said she had a virul gave me antibiotics and pain killer she perked up finished antibiotics on thursday last week and since yesterday got gradually worse she doesn't seem hot but is breathing erratically and slavering eyes weeping and not eaten at all for 24 hours she won't open her mouth I have tried putting water on her lips
Thank you for this information.
Just to confirm, she was normal for 3 weeks after her procedure and only became unwell in the last week?
Breathing issues is certianly a concern. I presume the vet would have listened to her heart and lungs for any e.g. heart murmurs or crackles. Certainly, if they suspected an infection a course of antibiotics/anti-inflammatories would have been indicated. However, they should have resolved the problem.
It may be that the medicine was finished too soon or we did not have the correct diagnosis in the first place.
At this stage, we need to look into things further. Given her history, I would be very keen to run a blood test. This can check for an infection but also assess her for any other abnormalities which could be making her ill. On top of this, a chest X-ray would be advised.
I presume the cut did not extend to her chest/thorax? If it did we would want to rule our any foreign material that could be linked the the breathing trouble she had.
From your description, she sounds very unwell at the moment. A young Springer should be full of beans. As her breathing is affected again, we really need to get a definitive answer as to what is going on.
Slobbering/drooling is a non specific symptom but can occur when dogs are in pain, stressed or have a fever. She could also be nauseous which would prevent her from eating.
I would want her temperature checked and it may be worth giving her some anti-sickness medicine to see if her appetite picks up.
I would also want her hydration assessed as if it is not good, she may need some additional fluids.
In summary, given what she has been through recently and the signs she is currently showing it is best that she is assessed by a vet this evening. They will likely need to run some tests to get to the bottom of things. I would not feel comfortable waiting until tomorrow given her erratic breathing as she may deteriorate over night.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you we are going to the vets
I think that's for the best. Please do feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have.
Dr L Simmon and other Dog Specialists are ready to help you