Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

My dog is 14 years, he constantly licks himself as he has a

Customer Question

my dog is 14 years , he constantly licks himself as he has a little urine leak . He has had and antibiotics injection but problems still persists . Have you any suggestions please
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 12 days ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 12 days ago.

Sorry to hear this. Has he had any blood tests or analysis of his urine to try and identify the cause of the problem?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Yes blood test no urine test given antibiotics did not improve things as it cost £260 already we are reluctant to go no . No pet insurance
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 12 days ago.

And they were normal? I think a urine analysis would be the next logical step to look for signs of infection/inflammation etc within the bladder which could lead to urine dribbling.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 12 days ago.

You're welcome. If that test also comes back normal then primary urinary incontinence may be considered and medication can be prescribed to help but other causes must be fully excluded first. Good luck with getting to the bottom of his problem.