Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I've been told that dog can be given PROVERA 0.5 5mg tablet

Hi I've been told that dog can be given PROVERA 0.5 5mg tablet from 24 days of pregnancy till the end of pregnancy and that suppose to stop her reabsorb her puppies. She is French bulldog and been mated twice and scanned by 4 weeks that she carrying pups. Later they all seems to disappear. And would the same Provera would help British bulldog fall pregnant? She has been mated twice and we done progesterone blood test when to mate her but she did not fall pregnant both times. Regards Laura

Laura, thanks for your question. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian in the US and will do my best to help.

Are you referring to Medroxyprogesterone , brand name Provera?

My drug book says that medroxyprogesterone can cause fetal death and abortion.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Yes

It sounds like it should not be given to pregnant dogs, according to my resources and drug books.

It could cause her to lose the puppies, not keep them.

Please let me know if this is helpful, and if you have other questions.

I am continuing to search. The reproduction specialists I am checking with recommend checking her progesterone levels throughout her pregnancy, and supplementing progesterone if the levels fall below 2 ng/ml.

Please let me know if you are there, and seeing my responses.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
What the medicine they use in US if progesterone goes under 2 ng/ml? And what they use in US to help bitch have propper season and fall pregnant. Regards Laura

Let me research that drug.

What do you mean by "fall pregnant"?

There are many causes of fetal resorption besides low progesterone: certain infections, anatomical abnormalities, genetic incompatiability of the puppies to the mother, uterine irritability.

It is recommended to consider a different stud dog, have an ultrasound of the uterus throughout the pregnancy as well as measure progesterone levels in dogs that have previously absorbed puppies.

If the progesterone is low they use either straight progesterone (not the long acting Provera), or Regumate (altrenogest). These should only be used when progesterone levels are being carefully monitored, and working with an experienced veterinary reproduction specialist.

If I had a breeder client with a dog that had resorbed puppies twice, I would refer them to a specialist in reproduction. Each case is different, and treatment has to be tailored to the individual dog.

Have she and the male both been tested for an infection called B. canis? This can prevent successful pregnancies. In the US, breeders check for this by blood tests, in both dogs, before any breeding.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Thank you for your help

You are welcome! Thanks for using our site.

Please let me know how she is doing and if you have other questions.

Thanks for using our site. Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you. You can still send me updates after rating, by going to My Questions on the website.