Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

She's lethargic, and seems to have some internal pain of &

She's lethargic, and seems to have some internal pain of & on when she moves a certain way or barks. She's been eating fine, but I wonder if she might be constipated / have gas? She has been on strong antibiotics for almost a month. 15-year old Chihuahua.
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better understand your case.
How long has this been going on for? Any underlying health problems? Any vomitting?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It started yesterday. No vomitting. She is on antibiotics for a bacterial infection, a "sore" over her eye.
What antibiotic ?
If you palpate the abdomen. Is it sore or where is The pain coming from ?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Zeniquin 25mg
Why have we been in the Zeniquin for a month. That is a very good antibiotic
Are the gums pale or pink ?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
she doesn't react when I touch her. Hard to tell where it is coming from. She is walking very gingerly, like she is protecting herself.
No, gums are normal.
Are we walking with the back arched ?
Have the stools been very firm ?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
yes, back arched. She hasn't pooped today. Didn't notice yesterday.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
still there?
Yes
What have we been feeding. All dry or soft food too?
Dairy. Like milk or yogurt can help with Constipation
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
normal is hard with water for gravy. I've been adding a scoop of pumpkin for the past few weeks to help her stop scooting, it worked. This morning she had canned, hoping that would help her.
What do we weigh?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
8 pounds
We have been scooting our rectum more then usual
You could give 4 ml of pepto bismol every 6 hours
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She was scooting a lot a month ago. The pumpkin has helped.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
You agree that it could just be constipation?
The anal glands sit at the 4 and 8 o’clock direction on the rectum. They are the dogs and cats scent glands. However when they fill up. They can get filled and even Infected. When this happens if causes pain on the rectal region. Some dogs and cats may not jump up on things as well, some keep their tail down as it is painful. Some will drag the rectum. Some may even have some fecal leakage also from this. They want to relieve this pressure. As a veterinarian we can reach in internally and squeeze these glands to remove the fluid. If the glands are full of infected material. We then can start on appropriate antibiotics.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
She is eating now - no loss of appetite with her!
I think the anal glands may have started this when they became enlarged
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
yes, her last vet visit they squeezed the glands for that, told me to start giving her some pumpkin. That is also when she started the antibiotic for the infection on her eye.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
oh - will that heal itself?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
makes sense that it's all connected
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
is cheese okay for her, since it's dairy?
Yes cheese is all good also
If the veterinarian can express the anal glands again will
Be helpful. You can also get Laxatone or Laxaire at a pet store to help with the constipation too
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ok, thank you, I'll try that and hope it all gets better.
We can keep this messge open a few days to help you if you have any othet questions
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
great, thanks!
You are more than welcome. Best of success and have a great evening. Dr Mike
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
fyi, she's much better, thank you for your help!

Thank you for letting me know, I truly appreciate that. Very happy to hear this also.