Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

How much phenegran can I give my 60kg mastiff to sedate him

How much phenegran can I give my 60kg mastiff to sedate him for a long car journey?
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response.
Phenergan is a relatively safe and inexpensive antihistamine that is not widely used in dogs and, when it is used, it is typically to treat mild allergic reactions.
While it can cause mild sedation in some, others may get hyperactive and many experience no mental change at all.
The dose is one 25mg tablet per large dog once a day but, as it is relatively ineffective, it's not something I would recommend.
If you have time before the journey, the best thing you could do for your dog would be to address the underlying phobia (presuming he is fearful in the car and this is why you wish to sedate him) by using desensitization and positive reinforcement techniques so he learns to love time spent in the car.
You can also reduce the chance of nausea (which is a common cause of dogs disliking the car) by not feeding a large meal before the trip. Keep meals bland and small during travel.
Break up the journey with lots of breaks and, on each break, tire him out both mentally and physically with food puzzles, interesting hikes/swims etc.
Natural calming tablets that are given for a week or so before the journey such as Zylkene or Yucalm can help reduce anxiety in general.
Anything stronger is really not recommended as any real sedative can cause a respiratory depression (slow breathing rate) which can actually be very dangerous. This is why vets will only sedate dogs when they are being monitored by trained staff.
The more comfortable he is the better so ensure he has plenty of space and a cosy bed that smells familiar. If possible, have someone he trusts travel beside him.