Dr:D
Dr:D, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  27 years of small animal medicine and surgery experience.Licensed in Florida and Canada
27194348

I am look after a tiny miniature Husky dog. It has only

I am look after a tiny miniature Husky dog. It has only eaten pellets of fish. I gave it some sweet potatoes as she had been sick a few times and hadn’t been eating. She loved it and eat it all. Now she is being sick again and had runny poo. What should I do?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: it is a breed from America and was flown over about a month ago. It is a cross between a Husky and Alascan?? She is 6 years old her name is*****: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Luna?
Customer: i only met her on Sunday as a friend of a friend needed to go back to New York for a week. She has never eaten human food and I am worried as I thought sweet potato helped. Could that have caused it?

Hello there

I am DrD , sorry to hear that Luna is having a gastro intestinal problem.
What is her regular food ?

Can you please tell me about the vomiting and diarrhea a bit more ?

What does she vomit ? Color of the ingredients of the vomited material ?

Is she on any medication ? How long ago did this started ?

Is the diarrhea large amount at once or small amounts and often with/ without mucus and / or blood on it ? The color of her stool ?

Sweet potato .... Hmmm , this could have helped unless the problem is not as serious. Do not want to scare you though. Please answer my above questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Her food is called SIX FISH by Origen . I don’t really know her as I am doing a favour for a friend. I was told she doesn’t eat human food! She wasn’t eating and the first morning she was sick. Not much but looked like the bit of food she had eaten the night before. I thought it was maybe because she missed her mum. Her poo seemed all right then. I spoke to another dog owner who suggested sweet potato. I boiled some and mashed it and she loved it. I gave her some more this morning. She was fine and rushing around the park. I gave her a tiny bit more mixed with the six fish much later. She came into the room after being asleep and pooed on the carpet. Part of the poo was normal and then it was loose! Took her out and she went again and it was runny liquid. When she came in she was sick. Looked like the food she had eaten.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She is only having eye drops occasionally . Poo normal is dark then loose it was light brown. Sick was orange colour and thick like the sweet potato

Thank you. I am sorry but I am not in the position of taking a phone call.

I am a bit confused now with your latest comments. Please forgive me asking you again:

Does the diarrhea ( runny stool ) still exists ?

IS she still vomiting ?

Or the both stopped ?

Here is some information for you : This is for colitis . Large bowel diarrhea . Symptoms are : Small amount and often soft stool .The dog may strain to defecate. Vomiting can be seen .

A pet that has sudden symptoms of colitis probably has a stress-related colitis (common after boarding, moving, severe weather or other change) or a dietary indiscretion-related colitis (usually involves treats or raiding the garbage). These episodes are generally minor and can be cleared with a short course of medication such as metronidazole or sulfasalazine and/or dietary therapy. Parasites, especially Giardia and whipworms, can also cause colitis and the pet may be tested for those to rule them out. In general, a few days of medication and a bland diet should resolve the problem and the pet will be back to normal quickly. During recovery, it is common for the pet to have no stool at all for a couple of days. This is normal and not a sign of constipation. If, however, the pet's diarrhea is not clearly improved in two to three days, contact the veterinarian to see if further testing is needed.

Diarrhea is the frequent evacuation of watery stools. Vomiting is the forceful expulsion of stomach contents through the mouth.

What to Do

• Remove all food and water.
  • Check for signs of dehydration.
  • If the diarrhea and/or vomiting continues or the pet acts ill, seek veterinary attention. Diarrhea and vomiting can quickly lead to serious fluid loss and electrolyte imbalance, especially in very young and very old animals.
  • If no vomiting occurs for 6 to 8 hours, begin to frequently give small amounts of clear liquids (water, Gatorade, Pedialyte, or other electrolyte solution). A rule of thumb is to give 1 teaspoon per pound of body weight every 2 or 3 hours throughout the day and night. If your pet does not vomit the fluid, the following day offer small frequent meals of boiled hamburger and rice or boiled chicken and rice. If your pet does not want to eat, starts to vomit, or continues to have diarrhea, go to the veterinarian for medical care.
  • Isolate the sick pet from other pets.

What NOT to Do

• Do not administer any over-the-counter or prescription medications to your pet without talking to a veterinarian first.
  • Do not allow the pet to eat or drink anything until there has been no vomiting for 6 to 8 hours.

Vomiting and diarrhea are associated with a host of problems that are referred to collectively as gastroenteritis. Some cases are quite severe (e.g., poisoning), and some are not (e.g., dietary indiscretion). If fever is present, infection may be a cause. Most infections that cause diarrhea and vomiting are contagious, so it is wise to assume that other pets might be vulnerable if they are exposed.

If your pet is not feeling well and has vomiting and/or diarrhea, see a veterinarian.

I hope this helps . If you have more to ask please come back and ask. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Both stopped at the moment

"Both stopped at the moment"

Glad to hear that. I send you some information in case. Please let me know if you need more help. Thank you