Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 6yo English mastiff has just been diagnosed with a stage

Customer Question

Hi there,
My 6yo English mastiff has just been diagnosed with a stage 3 kidney disease. About 12 hours ago (just 3 hours after feeding him) he started to vomit a lot of white foam and is dry retching especially after he tries to drink some water. We went to our local vet when this was happening and they advised us that this was caused by his kidney disease and is a normal symptom of this so we were given medication for his disease and for anti sickness. However, we are still worried as he has been restless and have difficulty breathing for the next 8 hours as we really do think he is showing typical symptoms of bloat/gdv. His stomach is bloated and is making loud gurgling noises, and when he stands up his back is hunched and head down. Now, after about 12 hours since he started vomiting foamy saliva, he is able to sleep but is breathing louder than usual. Should I be worried that this is possibly bloat or is it related to his kidney disease?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr L Simmon replied 7 days ago.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. I do apologise that your question was not answered more promptly, I have just come online now and hope to be able to help.
How is your dog now?
Certainly, those in stage 3 renal disease will often suffer form the associated complications such as nausea, vomiting, reduced appetite and even stomach ulcers and irritation.
If he was given an anti sickness injection this should usually have worked within 1 hour and be effective for 24 hours. Most will not vomit during this period and we can offer some bland food such as chicken and rice as well as water. After, we can give anti sickness tablets for several days.
It can also be useful to give some ant acids at this time, in case of gastritis (inflamed stomach).
Difficulty breathing should not be expected though may be secondary to some mild nausea or discomfort. His breathing rate should be less than 30 breaths a minute when resting and his gums should be pink and moist.
Bloat is a rapidly progressive disease so affected dogs will quickly get worse over several hours and it is unlikely they would settle and sleep. Their abdomen bloats like a balloon and becomes hard as a rock. Dogs continually try to retch/gag/cough and are very distressed. From your description, this is very unlikely however if the symptoms are continuing he should be brought in for assessment. Most vets can check for bloat by feeling the abdomen, though may suggest a quick conscious xray to confirm.