How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr Chris Your Own Question
Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 746
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr Chris is online now

My dog ate two pieces of Extra peppermint chewing gum, and i

Customer Question

Hi there! My dog ate two pieces of Extra peppermint chewing gum, and i just found out that they consist of xylitol i am not sure how much per piece of chewing gum
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: I am not sure if there is a vet open nearby at this time of the day
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: she is 30kg
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 14 days ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 14 days ago.

It is sometimes difficult to acertain how much xylitol chewing gum contains, but often it is quite a lot. Due to the fairly significant risks from toxicity I would advise contacting your vet straight away, they are like to recommend inducing vomiting at this stage to try and get her to bring them up again.

If you call your vets regular number then they will direct you to their out of hours service.

I hope that answers your question?

 

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Can you tell me what symptoms i should be wary of
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
She seems fine at the moment and she ate the chewing gum 2hours ago
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I gave her extra food
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Also what is the accceptable amount of xylitol for a dog??
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 14 days ago.

Xylitol poisoning causes hypoglycaemia which can cause lethargy, incoordinated behaviour and seizures. It can also cause serious liver damage. A dose of around 0.5g/kg bodyweight (about 15g for a dog your size) would be considered a potentially fatal dose, smaller doses may not be fatal but can still cause serious problems.

2 hours ago is probably too long to induce vomiting now, so monitoring of liver parameters, blood glucose and administration of activated charcoal would be the next steps.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thank you i will drive her to emergency now
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 14 days ago.

You're welcome. I hope all is OK.