Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My labrador weighing 30kg ate 250mg naproxen will he be OK

My labrador weighing 30kg ate 250mg naproxen will he be OK he's 10 years old
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Sam
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sam?
Customer: He has arthritis in back leg but he's healthy

I am sorry to hear Sam got this naproxen. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. How long ago did he get it?

He got a dose of 8 mg per kg of his body weight, this will likely make him vomit and could cause stomach ulcers and GI bleeding.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Oh dear what should I do, give him something to make him vomit?

How long ago did he get it?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
10 min

If this just happened, I would get him to vomit. Put about 1/2 to 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide in a little milk or ice cream and get him to drink it.

The peroxide has to be in date, and not flat, to work.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I don't have any, like what

These drugs are often quickly absorbed. In addition to getting him to vomit, giving prescription-strength activated charcoal, and then a stomach protectant like sucralfate would be best. These are things you would have to see a veterinarian to get.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Anything else. He's quite tolerant of painkillers as he had many when he had 3 ops on his
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Paw

He, fortunately, did not get a dose high enough to cause kidney damage.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Oh blast, what can I do now
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Acidophilus

If you don't have any peroxide on hand, you can monitor him and take him to your vet for sucralfate if he starts to vomit or go straight to the vet now for monitoring, activated charcoal, and sucralfate.
Acidophilus is not likely going to help; it is not a stomach protectant.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Milk would that help
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
OK would gaviscon help

If the naproxen makes him vomit, the milk won't stop it and he will vomit the milk back up.

Let me look up what is in Gavisiscon; one moment.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok

It is safe to give but may not help.

You can try famotidine if you have it. Sucralfate would be the drug of choice. Is there an emergency vet open near you?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No, last time we went when he had cellulitis it cost us 400gbp for 10 hours. I'm an A&E nurse can I not just monitor him. How long will it take to wear off. Would gaviscon not work it's a stomach liner
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
If I find sucraflate how much

You can monitor him and if he starts to vomit, see a veterinarian for maropitant for the vomiting and sucralfate to protect and treat ulcers.

Gaviscon is safe to use; I am just not sure it will help with this.

You would give sucralfate 500 to 1000 mg 3 times daily.

Do not give it with food or other drugs.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
OK. Thank u

You are welcome. Please let me know how he is doing and if you have other questions.

Thanks for using our site. Kindly consider rating my answer so the website knows I assisted you. You can still send me updates after rating, by going to My Questions on the website.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
OK thanks

Thanks for the great rating.