Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Veterinarian
Experience:  BVetMed MRCVS
105454072

I have a springer spaniel. She’s just given birth to 10

Customer Question

Hi I have a springer spaniel bitch. She’s just given birth to 10 puppies the last one around 7pm. We lost the first pup but all the others are fine. However she is still having contractions, she doesn’t seem to be in any distress.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Holly
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Holly?
Customer: She 4, first litter
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
She’s eating ok.
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 7 days ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer. I'm Chris, a small animal Vet based in the UK. I am reviewing your question and will get back to you as soon as possible

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 7 days ago.

How is Holly doing now? Have the contractions stopped? If the uterus is still contracting then this usually means there is still a pup to come out, if these contractions are unproductive then she does need to go to the vets for a checkup to make sure nothing is stuck. An xray or ultrasound may be needed to make sure.

Let me know how you get on.

Chris

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I haven’t seen her contract for a few hours. She’s just eaten her breakfast, hasn’t had a wee yet, doesn’t want to leave puppies
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 7 days ago.

OK. That's good. Were all the placenta expelled during birth as well? Normally they come out with each pup