Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

We have a 6month old shih tzu and she keeps being sick its

We have a 6month old shih tzu and she keeps being sick its mainly froth but she is very lethargic she wont play with her sister and is very quiet
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Expert will know how to help the Shih Tzu. What is the Shih Tzu's name?
Customer: Bella
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: No
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response
I'm sorry to hear Bella is unwell.
Does she have any medical issues I should know about or is she on any medicine?
Is she up to date with vaccines and parasite prevention?
Was she completely normal yesterday?
How many times would you guess she has vomited and any other symptoms e.g. diarrhoea, reduced appetite, coughing?
Has she had her first season yet?
Is there anything you can think of that may have precipitated this sickness e.g. diet change, new treat, eating something she shouldn't (sock, toy...) or access to something toxic (house plants, chemical cleaners, antifreeze...)
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Bella has had all her vaccinations and was ok yesterday. She has no medical issues and has not yet had her first season.We dont think she has eaten anything she shoulnt and she has not had a bowel movement today.
Great, thank you for this information.
Its good to know she is up to date with vaccines and has not been unwell for too long.
At her age, she may have eaten something she shouldn't when on a walk, picked up a virus or is perhaps coming into season and the hormonal changes are making her feel unwell.
I would want to check her gums are pink and moist and that her abdomen is soft and comfortable when gently pressed.
You can offer her a bland dinner of boiled white chicken and rice as well as water this evening. Do not give any dog or other human food which would be too rich when she is unwell. Its important that she keeps her dinner down so only feed a small meal.
We would want to monitor closely for any deterioration or development of any further symptoms. We would expect her to be much better by tomorrow. If not, a vet check would be in order. She may well need some anti-nausea medicine and the vet will check her from nose to tail and ensure her hydration is ok. If there are any concerns they may want to run a quick in house blood test.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Ok thank you so much I will get her checked out if she is still unwell tomorrow
No problem at all. You are more than welcome to keep me updated tonight and to ask any further questions you may have
Customer: replied 4 days ago.