Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My 3 year old male beagle has a swollen nipple on the left

Hi my 3 year old male beagle has a swollen nipple on the left side near his groin. He keeps lickibg it and has a slight faint rash around it. Hes very anxious dog but dosent seem to be in pain. He is stkll eating and drinking normally.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Thankyou. Hes called Buddy.
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Buddy?
Customer: No otherwise he is fit and healthy. He had his jabs in March and a check over by vet.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
How long has this been going on for?
Would you be able to send a clear photo of the lesion?
Is there any ooze or discharge?
Is Buddy licking or scratching elsewhere and is the rest of his skin ok?
Finally, when was he last treated for external parasites and what product was used?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Dr Linda, he has had this for about 4 weeks however he did stop licking it and has just started again. He dosent seem to be scrating elsewhere apart from around his collar at times which is normal. The fiprotech was applied 2 weeks ago but he obviously had this before.
I have enclosed a couple of pictures hope they are clear.
Kind Regards
Emma
Thank you for this information.
Would it be possible to send a photo of the nipple and rash?
(It is only the photo of the flea treatment that has come through)
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi i have enclosed the photos of the swollen nipple above. The rash is very slight underneath the nipple.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Oh okay sorry i will resend.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
15753775688625126537678555068700.jpg
Unfortunately it has still not sent! The link is not one that can be clicked on.
This article may help:http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hope this works.
Yes!
Ok, so the nipple is minimally swollen and there is some redness and a small amount kf brownish discharge around it.
This may well be a mild dermatitis. It could have been triggered by an insect bite, or perhaps he caught it with a claw when scratching.
The key now is to stop ANY licking, chewing or scratching. This is usually achieved with the combination of a buster collar and loose cotton tshirt or body suit.
To treat the infection I would clean the area twice daily with dilute Hibiscrub which can be purchased from a chemist. Apply this for 5 days.
If things have not resolved by then, he may need a course of antibiotic cream or tablets from the vet. Usually however, these lesions will resolve shortly once we stop the licking.
When using the Hibiscrub lather it on for 5 minutes and then rinse with warm water. Afterwards, pat dry. Be sure he is not able to lick as you do this!
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Oh thank you that is a relief. I will try the hibbiscrub. He is not an easy boy though very scared of water and not keen on me going near to it? Thankyou for your help.
Ah that does make it tricky.
You could clean it while the buster collar is on so he is unable to see what you are doing.
Alternatively, you could try while he is in a deep sleep or while distracted with eating. Some owners find it easiest to have them in an empty bathtub as they tend to stay still, even without any water! You can even buy a sticky lickimatt that attaches to the bath wall that you can put peanut butter on to keep him distracted while you get him cleaned.