Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

He came limping in from out in yard. Reluctant to put weight

He came limping in from out in yard. Reluctant to put weight on back foot. No visible trauma other than small scratch on top of foot. But it is swollen.
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Dog
Assistant: This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: He is still eating ok.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
He puts minimal weight on it when standing to eat. He has gone outside three legged twice a day for toilet but usually goes much more. He is otherwise been immobile. It happened yesterday morning but was hoping as he could put weight on it somewhat that it might just be a sprain. But I am very unsure about what to do. My partner does shift work and getting to vets is sadly not easy.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I would send a photo but can't see how to on here.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Photo I think is attached
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
this photo
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I am profoundly deaf so if I can get online advice it will be good as I cannot call vet on phone.
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response
I'm sorry to hear your dog has this issue.
Is he licking or chewing at the leg? If so, this needs to be stopped by using a buster collar.
The concern here would be that he either has an infection such as a cellulitis which has entered through that small wound, or has got a significant injury such as a fracture or dislocation.
Most dogs would be back to weight bearing after a short period if it were just a strain and we should not have so much swelling.
If he does indeed have an infection, he needs a course of antibiotics to be started asap. We should also monitor for a fever or symptoms of being unwell. The small lesion can be cleaned twice daily with salty water.
With regards any further injury e.g. to the bone, it would be best if a vet exmaines the limb to assess it. They may well wish to undertake xrays as it can be hard to detect e.g. hairline fractures. It may be that he requires a cast to help with healing.
I understand it is difficult to get him to the vets but I do think that this would be the best option at this stage given we have not had improvement since yesterday.
There is also a possibility that there is a foreign body inside, such as a grass awn or blaze of glass, so this wo need to be checked for.
Please do let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you Dr Linda

No worries at all and please do feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions that may arise.