Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

My dog is seeing a lot and drinking a lot of water would he

My dog is seeing a lot and drinking a lot of water would he have a Urian infection?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infections your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Harry age 14
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Harry?
Customer: He is walking around a lot not settling
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
He’s “ Weeing”
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response
I'm sorry to hear Harry has been having these issues.
How long has this been going on for?
Any other symptoms e.g. vomiting, reduced appetite, increased panting, weight loss, altered appetite?
Does he strain to pee and is it foul-smelling? Any blood visible?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
It’s been a couple of weeks
Hes been eating well good appetite
No smell or blood, seems ok apart from that
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Can I buy antibiotics for him ??
Great, thank you for this.
Given Harry's age and the symptoms you mention, a urinary infection would not be kn the top of my list.
We would need to check for more common causes of increased thirst in an elderly dog, such as chronic kidney disease, diabetes or liver disease.
Luckily, these conditions are easy to check for. We typically recommend a basic blood test and urine test. Not only will this check for any underlying medical issue, but will also rule in or out a urine infection.
I would suggest measuring his water intake in 24 hours to give the vet an idea as to how abnormal his thirst levels are.
On the day of his appointment, catch a fresh urine sample in the morning in a clean container.
During the appointment, the vet will check him all over and can take a quick blood sample.
We should have our diagnosis that day or the next.
It wouldn't be in his best interest to give antibiotics now as there may not be any infection there and, if there is, we should check which infection is present so we know which antibiotics to prescribe.
I'm afraid I am unable to make a phone call at this time. I apologise as I know the website automatically suggests it. I am more than happy to continue talking via chat.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok thanks for your help I will book a Appoinment for him now
No problem at all and please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have