Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

He has been sick once and is sat shivering and making noises

He has been sick once and is sat shivering and making noises as he breathes. after he threw up the first time he seemed fine but now he’s back to shivering again. Any advice?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Thank you. He went into my parents garden and they said there was nothing there- maybe a mushroom or two? He’s never eaten one before though
Assistant: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Doogal
Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Doogal?
Customer: No
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda.
What age is Doogal? Is he otherwise healthy and is he currently on any medicine?
Would you be able to count his breathing rate?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
He is 18 months and otherwise very healthy. He’s on no other medicine with 25 breaths per minute. His breathing rate seems normal other than the slight noise with it.
Perfect, thank you.
Any other symptoms e.g. diarrhoea , coughing, lethargy, reduced appetite , increased thirst?
Would you be able to check that his gums are wet and pink?
When you gently press his abdomen is it soft and comfortable rather than tense or bloated?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
No, he’s lethargic I think because he doesn’t feel well but he’s with it. His gums are pink and wet and his abdomen feels normal- no bloating or tenseness
Ok good.
He may well have eaten something that didnt agree with him, or perhaps has picked up a virus.
The shivering may be caused by nausea, a fever or discomfort (e.g. from stomach cramps).
As everything else seems ok and this has developed recently, we should be able to manage him at home as long as there is no deterioration.
You can starve him for 12 hours and then offer bland meals of boiled white chicken and rice little and often. Avoid treats, chews and other dog food until better. Do allow him to have water.
He will likely want to rest and does not need any further exercise tonight.
Keep a close eye on his breathing and we would hope he is back to normal in the morning.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Thank you, super helpful
No worries at all and please feel free to keep me updated and to ask any further questions you may have. Wishing Doogal a speedy recovery.