Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 47 years of experience.
55012488

My 6 yr old is bleeding ,slightly, from hisanus, he is a 6yr

Customer Question

my 6 yr old is bleeding ,slightly, from hisanus
JA: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: he is a 6yr old beagle and is on a small dose of steriods 2.5mg every 4 days. otherwise in good health
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 days ago.

Dr. Michael Salkin is typing. Please be patient.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your beagle. You’ve described hematochezia – blood from the anus with or without feces. His vet will need to consider quite a few possible etiologies for the bleeding. They include the following:

anal sac gland impaction, sacculitis, or abscess - relatively commmon

hemorrhagic gastroenteritis/enteritis - a dangerous disorder in which dehydration and electrolyte imbalance can occur quickly - more common in small breed dogs - you would also see bloody diarrhea

pancreatitis - this dogs are quite ill, anorexia, vomiting and diarrhea are common

neoplasia – perianal adenomas are the most common of the benign tumors while the most common of the malignant tumors is the anal sac adenocarcinoma; intestinal adenocarcinoma is an important consideration in older dogs

perianal fistulas - most common in the German shepherd

anal stricture - uncommon – most often found in middle-aged to older males

trauma – e.g., from passing a foreign body in the stool

proctitis (rectal inflammation)

colitis – idiopathic (unknown cause), food allergy, infection (bacterial, viral, parasitic)

coagulation disorder – not a common cause of hematochezia but potentially could arise due to anticoagulant rodenticide poisoning

Time is of the essence in these patients. Please have his vet attend to him at your earliest convenience. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
thanks

You're quite welcome. I'll set a follow up for a few days from now but please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.