Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have an almost 16 year old border terrier cross dog who

Hi I have an almost 16 year old border terrier cross dog who has a heart murmur and arthritis.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: He is taking Vetmedin twice a day and has unsuccessfully tried metacam. Would devils claw help his pain and mobility and can is be given with Vetmedin Thank you Carol
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Ted
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ted?
Customer: No that's all his problems he has become very slow and his arthritis would appear to be giving him discomfort my own vet has not been very helpful
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry to hear Ted has this issue but must congratulate you on his impressive age!
Arthritis is a complicated condition that worsens with time and is managed rather than cured. We tend to take a multi modal approach to its treatment, meaning we use more than one thing.
Things proven to help include weight loss if needed, non steroidals such as metacam, other pain relief options such as Amantadine and gabapentin, cartrophen injections, supplements such as glucosamine and chondroitin sulphate, adjunctive therapies such as acupuncture, hydrotherapy, massage a s lifestyle changes e.g.orthopaedic beds, consistent exercise etc.
There are limited human studies on Devils claw and no canine studies I can find. However it is generally accepted to be safe, is not thought to interfere with other medicines (though no trials have been performed) and may have anti-inflammatory properties that are useful in arthritis.
I would recommend starting on a low dose and monitoring him closely. Hopefully you do notice an improvement .
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you his weight is normal for his age and size I have always been careful with weight as he has had cruciate ligament treatment on both back legs. I might ask the vet for another form of pain relief as metacam seriously upset his tummy and he got very distressed. I take devils claw myself and find it helps I just want him to be comfortable
Absolutely, there are lots of alternatives to metacam so it is well worth trying a different Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory to see if he tolerates ot better. Often we will add in a second medicine such as Gabapentin, Tramadol or Amantadine on top of this for extra pain relief .
There are quite a few up and coming natural therapeutic options such as Devil's Claw and THC so it will be interesting to see what is found if and when clinical studies are performed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your advice