Mike McIntyre
Mike McIntyre,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Sioux Nation Pet Clinic
106239999

My Springer spaniel who is always active and happy was

My Springer spaniel who is always active and happy was vomiting all night last night and doesnt want to eat this morning?
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No nothing unusual
Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: Bruce and he is 4
Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bruce?
Customer: He did go for a long run in the woods on Friday and likes going in muddy water But that is nothing unusual
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
He is also got liquid poo
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
He has bad breath as well and just not himself
Hello. This is Dr Mike. I have been practicing for 19 years and I will be happy to help you today with all of your questions. First, I would like to start with a few questions to help me better your case. Any changes in eating, drinking, urinating, or defecating? Any underlying health problems? Any medications we are on?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Everything is fine his toilet habits are fine but he is not eating today
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Sorry I meant he has very runny poo as well
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Not any any meds and no health problems
When did the diarrhea start? Any vomitting ?
Any change in diet or stress before this started?
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Loads of vomiting last night diarrhea this morning
Will we keep anything down now? Was there a change of diet before this started ?
For the diarrhea we can add: We can start with adding psyllium (active ingredient in Metamucil ) at a rate of 1 tsp/10 pounds twice a day to the food. This will add fiber and will be soothing to the lining of the intestinal tract also.
We will want to ensure we keep hydrated today also. Oral pedialyte can help with this for electrolytes and energy too.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No nothing
Then we will either need to take to emergency clinic today for fluids and treatment if we will keep nothing done. Or if not able to today. Try to use a bland diet, hamburger or chicken and rice. Milk, yogurt. Use a syringe to offer the pedialyte. If not eating well can get psyllium capsules to give orally to help form the stools and to be soothing to the GI tract also
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
Thanks I will keep him hydrated. He is drinking and hasn't been sick today. So will keep an eye on him and if not better take to vet tomorrow. Thanks again
We can keep this message open for 5 days. If any changes or other questions arise. Please let me know. I wish you best Of success today. Have a good day. Dr Mike.