Dr L Simmon
Dr L Simmon, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian MVB MRCVS
103237793

I have a very active springer spaniel who after a walk today

I have a very active springer spaniel who after a long walk today then rest on the sofa is not able to weight bare on her front left leg. This is not the first time I have seen her limp when getting up from a rest following a long walk but this is the worst I have seen it
Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: she is two and a half and 16kg
Hi there, you are through to Dr Linda. Just a few minutes as I type my response
I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue with her.
Has the limping ever been looked into and has she ever received any medication for it?
While I know it is possibly a chronic condition, have you checked today for anything such as e.g. a thorn in the paw, a split claw or a grazed pad?
Would she allow you to flex and extend each joint and feel along the limb to check for swelling or injury? This can help to identify where the issue may be.
Finally, does she seem otherwise ok or is she lethargic or off her food?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It happened once before but the following day she was back to normal so we did not seek advice at that time. I have checked the paw and there does not seem to be an issue there, she has let me check between the pads. She is not happy for me to touch and flex the rest of the leg which is unusual. She has been laying down since we returned home at 3pm she has taken a couple of treats but has not eaten yet as we would not feed her yet.
Thank you for this.
It is quite possible that she has simply strained a muscle, particularly if she can be very active when outside! If they have had an injury in the past, it can be easier for then to injure themselves again in the same area.
Rest alone (short lead walks only, no running/jumping) may resolve things but if she is non weight bearing, off her food, not acting as normal and/or not recovering quickly she may well need some pain relief anti inflammatory medicine to help her get over things.
Another consideration would be an issue such as OCD or elbow dysplasia, namely as she bas had a similar issue in the past. If things dont settle quickly or she continues to become lame on this leg it would be worth considering some imaging. Xrays may be useful however some lesions are quite subtle and might only show up on a CT scan.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I will allow her to rest today and monitor tomorrow while contacting the vet. She is very active and when it happened before and resolved quickly I assumed a sprain but this has concerned me more so will take her for a physical examination
Thank you for your afvice
No worries at all and please do feel free to keep me updated
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you so much